Djinn 1.006

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tom Likens

Re: Djinn 1.006

Post by Tom Likens »

tmokonen wrote:Hi Tom, I was having a crashing issue with the 32 bit Windows version. It will play book moves, but crash as soon as it starts thinking. Perhaps it's something to do with SSE 4.2, as the non-SSE 64 bit compile works for me.
Hey Tony,

Thanks for letting me know. I'm away from my development machine tonight. But, I'll look into it first thing tomorrow.

best,
--tom
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Tom Likens wrote: Hello Ed,

I think it's pretty standard stuff, but my terminology may be bad. I added this after reading this post by Vincent.

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 79&t=43165

I think this is what the Stockfish guys call "Static-Null Move Pruning".
Hi Tom,

I do remember now, I have used it for a couple of years in REBEL, I believe it was called FAIL_HIGH reductions back then. I threw it out eventually because it bites futility pruning when big score fluctuations are dominant in the search and so your worse results with WAC does't surprise me. It works in (normal) games but in extreme tactical positions the program may look blind but eventually the right move is found anyway.
One thing I've already ascertained is that chess programs look at a lot of bizarre positions.
Ssstttttttttt....... don't tell. Some chess players might read this, they think we are a geniuses, we must protect our image :wink:
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

tmokonen wrote:Hi Tom, I was having a crashing issue with the 32 bit Windows version. It will play book moves, but crash as soon as it starts thinking. Perhaps it's something to do with SSE 4.2, as the non-SSE 64 bit compile works for me.
Tony,

Would you mind sending me the particulars of your setup? Basic information should get me started,

1. Type of computer (Intel, AMD etc.)
2. Amount of memory the computer has installed
3. Operating system (Windows XP, 7, 8)
4. We're you using tablebases
5. The Djinn configuration file (i.e. amount of hash etc.)
6. The GUI you are using

Essentially, anything that you think would help with the debug. You're welcome to send me a private message if that is easier for you and if you don't feel like SPAMing the forum.

thanks,
--tom
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tom - I see you have Djinn 1.007 32-bit there for download.
Will there be a Djinn 1.007 64-bit version as well?

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Graham Banks wrote:Tom - I see you have Djinn 1.007 32-bit there for download.
Will there be a Djinn 1.007 64-bit version as well?

Graham.
Hello Graham,

Sharp eye! :wink:

Yes, most likely. The only change is that I've cleaned up (i.e. correctly matched) all the format strings with their arguments in all of my custom variadic macros and functions. There shouldn't any strength difference from the last version, but of course there's always a small chance that making things correct will have a small elo increase, (at the very least it should be more stable and probably worth the upgrade for that alone). I truly hate program bugs!

This 32-bit version runs cleanly for me, but I'd like to verify that on other systems first before declaring any kind of victory. As for the 64-bit version, I'm going to release that over the next day or so. I'm still sorting out the time loss that Ola reported. This may have fixed it but I need to verify that and then run all my regressions.

regards,
--tom
countrychess

Post by countrychess »

Hello Tom,

The first results look very promising:

http://countrychess.esy.es/livegames/

Engines ranked 1-2 promote to the premier division. With 3 games left, a second place and 1.5 point ahead, Djinn will probably continue in the tournament. Thanks for the new version(s) :-).

Geert
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

SzG wrote: With more than 300 games already run with 1.006 I root for no strength increase. Anyway, I'll probably skip 1.007 owing to lack of CPU resources.
Yes, if nothing is crashing on you then I'd not worry about it--it truly is a bug fix only.

--tom
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

countrychess wrote:Hello Tom,

The first results look very promising:

http://countrychess.esy.es/livegames/

Engines ranked 1-2 promote to the premier division. With 3 games left, a second place and 1.5 point ahead, Djinn will probably continue in the tournament. Thanks for the new version(s) :-).

Geert
Thanks Geert, it's fun to be near the top occasionally! :)