Most wanted missing features for a chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Re: Most wanted missing features for a chess GUI

Post by kasinp »

hgm wrote:Well, adjudication of engine-engine games does not have any effect on, and thus is not of any relevance for interactive analysis, so you seem to be talking about something entirely different. If you would be interested in seeing the tablebase moves in interactive analysis, the logical and obvious solution seems to use an engine that supports tablebases.

I don't think it would be very wise to use a stupid engine without tablebase support to analyze 7-men end-games, let it make its stupid plans, and follow them untill you reach the 5-men stage on the board, to only let the GUI tel you: "Oh, now it is lost in 23", while the original 7-men position was draw. EGT probing in the GUI can never save you, it can only inform you after the fact that you are dead. That doesn't seem like 'getting closer to the truth'.
Indeed we seem to be talking about two different things. My comment was unrelated to the interactive analysis conversation.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

So what were you talking about, then?
kasinp

Post by kasinp »

I am talking about automatic adjudication of games using perfect information, if available.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

kasinp wrote:I am talking about automatic adjudication of games using perfect information, if available.
At present, I think that ChessGUI and Chessbase GUIs are the only ones with this option.
The Arena author was initially disinterested in implementing it when I asked.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
kasinp

Post by kasinp »

I use Fritz GUI but could do without these silly 50-move sequences played out when engine contempt factors prevent a draw.

I will have to give ChessGUI a try. Does it support Monte Carlo analysis?

Thank you Graham,
PK
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

kasinp wrote:I use Fritz GUI but could do without these silly 50-move sequences played out when engine contempt factors prevent a draw.

I will have to give ChessGUI a try. Does it support Monte Carlo analysis?

Thank you Graham,
PK
ChessGUI is still at version 0.245g. No analysis yet.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
hgm

Post by hgm »

kasinp wrote:I am talking about automatic adjudication of games using perfect information, if available.
Well, sorry I misunderstood you, then. But you were also talking about 'getting closer to the truth' about chess positions. Which, by definition is analysis. And letting poistions being played out by weak engines is definitely not a way to get anywhere near the truth for those positions. And pefectly adjudication a position they more or less randomly arrived at, is not going improve that in any way. (In fact it is likely to make things worse, but we need to go into that now.)

So you won't learn anything useful abount non-EGT positions that way, and you also won't learn anything useful about the engines playing them. Having this kind of adjudication does not help you to achieve any of the purposes you declare, even though you might think so. Which is exactly why I think it is better not to offer such a feature in a GUI.
phenri

Post by phenri »

hgm wrote:
phenri wrote:You misunderstood me. You asked me what a "kibitzer" and I replied with a screenshot. Several engines as a "Spectator" is not a feature I requested since it exists for many years. It is a fact

I mention kibitzer to illustrate my point. The possibility as for the engines "spectator", adding several books to read/edit.
Well, I am sorry I am so slow. The problem is that I have no idea what 'kibitzing' means, other than using the 'kibitz' command on an ICS to send text messages to other people observing or playing the same game. Which obviously is not what you mean here.

From the picture I notice there are three panes with engine output, but the left one says 'Engine', while the other two say 'Kibitzer', although they are obviously also engines. My guess is that the Kibitzer engines are just running analysis of whatever position is displayed on the board. But apparently the one in the left pane is doing something else. But what? And what determines if the board position chances? Does the user have to move the pieces, or do one or more of the engines do that, or are moves read from a file, or received from a Chess server?
hgm wrote:
phenri wrote:The main engine is mainly same as in winboard or other interface: Infinite Analysis, Blitz Game, Long Game,

Coach: Threat, hint, suggestion.
Post-mortem: Full analysis, Blunuder Check, Deep Position analysis.

Play Chess online mode with Engine room; engine vs engine, engine vs freestyle, freestyle vs freestyle, human vs ..., etc

I do not want to promote this interface, and if there were a real alternative, I'd be the first happy.
And in all those modes you want one or two extra engines to analyze the positions of the games that develop, in real time?

I list an incomplete list of existing features in the competition in response to your questions.
Why you return my answers to your questions as specific queries?
hgm

Post by hgm »

To double-check if I now understood you correctly, of course. You made a feature request, but as long as I don't properly understand what it is that you request, I cannot judge if it would be desirable or even feasible to implement it.

But it doesn't seem this is going anywhere, so perhaps we better drop it. Whatever you requested, it is unlikely to be of any use to me personally. So why bother?
phenri

Post by phenri »

hgm wrote:To double-check if I now understood you correctly, of course. You made a feature request, but as long as I don't properly understand what it is that you request, I cannot judge if it would be desirable or even feasible to implement it.

But it doesn't seem this is going anywhere, so perhaps we better drop it. Whatever you requested, it is unlikely to be of any use to me personally. So why bother?
This must be a misunderstanding to dispel this, please reread my first post I will quote here.
subject: Most wanted missing features for a chess GUI
phenri wrote:A feature that is missing for me is the support of CTG book, and secondly the ability to open several books in the same chessboard.
(...)