Houdini 4 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Re: Houdini 4 has been released

Post by jshriver »

JohnW wrote:Anyone know the price is USD?
Roughly $65 for single, $100 for multicore.

Google hack try this "40 pounds to dollars".
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

jshriver wrote:
JohnW wrote:Anyone know the price is USD?
Roughly $65 for single, $100 for multicore.

Google hack try this "40 pounds to dollars".

Yes - google is your compadre.... 8-)
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Houdini wrote:Houdini 4 has been released today.
More information on our web page http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm . Make sure to refresh the browser cache using F5 or Ctrl-F5 to get the most recent page.

Thank you for reading,
Robert
After 500 direct bullet (30" + 0.3") games against H3 I'm showing +48 elo, close enough to the claimed 50, but normally elo gains diminish with increased time limit and also against unrelated engines, so I'll "predict" that the real gain (say on the CEGT 5' +3" list, which is similar to IPON) will be around 30 elo. We'll see.
majortom

Post by majortom »

lkaufman wrote:
More information on our web page http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm . Make sure to refresh the browser cache using F5 or Ctrl-F5 to get the most recent page.

Thank you for reading,
Robert
After 500 direct bullet (30" + 0.3") games against H3 I'm showing +48 elo, close enough to the claimed 50, but normally elo gains diminish with increased time limit and also against unrelated engines, so I'll "predict" that the real gain (say on the CEGT 5' +3" list, which is similar to IPON) will be around 30 elo. We'll see.
Can Houdini 4 has better scaling at LTC than Houdini 3? I think it is possible. I will check it soon.

BTW, it will be interesing to see Houdini 4 against the last Komodo dev version at LTC.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

majortom wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

Thank you for reading,
Robert
Can Houdini 4 has better scaling at LTC than Houdini 3? I think it is possible. I will check it soon.

BTW, it will be interesing to see Houdini 4 against the last Komodo dev version at LTC.
Of course H4 could have better (or worse) scaling than H3. I also plan to check this by running the same match at a longer time control. I plan to do a thousand games at each tc.
enhorning

Post by enhorning »

Am I the only one having trouble buying Houdini 4? I've repeatedly tried clicking the "Buy Now" button, but paypal always fails to load. I've tried in multiple browsers, with no difference.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:The price of the new Houdini is reasonable considering the improvements advertised on it's web page....
Dr.D

P.S.I know that I'll be executed by Kim for this comment of mine :lol:
:wink:
Yes Doc it is amazing how all of this has evolved.

1. Free Stockfish
2. Stockfish gets stronger
3. Komodo gets stronger
4. Komodo 6 almost free $30 (sad amount for Dons hard work)
5. Tcec Houdini new version loses, not in finals.
6. Two free programs in final.
7. Komodo author passes
8. Houdini new version loses to Komodo but costs twice as much as Komodo

amazing series of events in a short time in chess program history.
I have not purchased Houdini 4 yet, not sure about it.
I will decide soon.
Doc did you already download H4
kgburcham
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:The price of the new Houdini is reasonable considering the improvements advertised on it's web page....
Dr.D

Hi Doc.
My guess is Houdini 4 is 70 elo. stronger than 2nd place engine.

Best,
Gerold.
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

Thank you for reading,
Robert
What are the chances of a reasonable earlier update to version 4? Considering Houdini 4 was unofficially released some weeks ago and a great deal has transpired since. That might be a nice touch rather than just another year for Houdini 5.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

gerold wrote:
Dr.D

Hi Doc.
My guess is Houdini 4 is 70 elo. stronger than 2nd place engine.

Best,
Gerold.
I suppose you are talking about bullet chess and only official releases. Anyway H4 did end up beating h3 by 54 elo (+351 -197 =452) in my thousand game bullet match (30" +.3"), and is currently about 50 elo ahead of h3 at a slower 2' + 1.2" after about a thousand games (I'll actually run 4000 as I have 4 thousand game matches running on two monster computers). Allowing for some dropoff with longer time and when playing foreign opponents, I expect about +40 over h3 in the "new IPON" meaning the 5' + 3" CEGT list, which I think is overall the most meaningful list now considering both quantity of games and relevance of the time limit. This would put h4 about fifty above Komodo 6 or about 30 above our current version at this time limit. If so we're probably already equal with h4 at serious tournament levels but we have some work to do to catch h4 at blitz levels.