OSX Xboard 4.7.2 .app

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: OSX Xboard 4.7.2 .app

Post by syzygy »

hgm wrote:Well, MSVC is not normally distributed with Windows, right? You have to buy it separately.

So it is illegal to distribute binaries compiled by MSVC unless you include the sources of MSVC?
Agreed.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

hgm wrote: That is "./xboard.conf", I should hope. "." is a directory, so it could never save anything there. You should also make sure that the xboard.conf master settings file is put in that directory then.
Oops, yah you're right, that would be what I did.

@Louis

I see, well in that case I can easily rig the info.plist to pop up a warning when anything other then 10.8 is used. Until someone with 10.6 can compile xboard in gtk for themselves. Or perhaps there is a macports trick to try to compile everything ready for 10.6. Then I could do it myself.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

trojanfoe wrote:
zullil wrote: I found the tone of your post rather unpleasant. But perhaps that's my problem. Since you seem to know a bit about development under OS X, maybe you could offer Joshua some assistance, without snarky comments like "If you cannot make your app know its own bundle path then you have many problems on the road ahead."
However I have no time to assist anyone with anything at this time.
This I can identify with fully. :D

Thanks for the reply.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

syzygy wrote:
hgm wrote:And what if this 'script' is noting but a single line

HGsuperCompiler -O99 *.c -o gpl.exe

where HGsuperCompiler is not publicly available? I could even specify its version very precisely as $999,867, but that wouldn't really make it useful for anyone.
If HGsuperCompiler does not fall under this special exception:
However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
then the source code for the binary includes the source code of HGsuperCompiler including its Makefile etc.
I disagree with this. No where in the GPL does it guarantee everyone the ability to generate their own bit-for-bit identical executable will freely available tools. You need to provide the source code, and a makefile is considered source (a position I agree with - it is indeed code written in a domain-specific language.) You do not need to provide them with MSVC any more than you need to provide them with Windows itself.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Well I found a way to configure macports to compile everything for 10.6. Thank goodness I still have my 10.6sdk lying around. As soon as I heard Xcode was removing it with that next update, I went and archived it in my home folder :)

So now I just need to finish setting up macports again and we should be getting 10.6 support soon!
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Ok, done and uploaded! anyone with 10.6 or 10.7 give it a try!
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

JoshPettus wrote:Well I found a way to configure macports to compile everything for 10.6. Thank goodness I still have my 10.6sdk lying around. As soon as I heard Xcode was removing it with that next update, I went and archived it in my home folder :)

So now I just need to finish setting up macports again and we should be getting 10.6 support soon!
Why do you need the 10.6 SDK? As long as you have SDK >= Deployment Target then you should be OK.
Max

Post by Max »

JoshPettus wrote:Ok, done and uploaded! anyone with 10.6 or 10.7 give it a try!
Thanks Joshua for your work, its much appreciated. But there is still something left from above 10.6; again only a terminal appears with these messages now.

Code: Select all

Last login: Sun Oct 20 13:16:30 on ttys000
/Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS/xboard ; exit;
maxs-macbook:~ max$ /Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS/xboard ; exit;
xboard
/Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS
/Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS/:/Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/Resources/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Users/max/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/X11/bin
dyld: Symbol not found: __tlv_bootstrap
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
 in /Applications/Xboard.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib
Trace/BPT trap
logout
-Max
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Dang, I don't understand this one. It should have compiled against the libSystem.B.dylib in the 10.6 SDK and thus the one in your /usr/lib folder. Really not sure what to do here. Looks like it went after the one on my system
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

JoshPettus wrote:Dang, I don't understand this one. It should have compiled against the libSystem.B.dylib in the 10.6 SDK and thus the one in your /usr/lib folder. Really not sure what to do here. Looks like it went after the one on my system
How are you configuring macports to build for 10.6? I looked recently and the stuff you need to add to macports.conf looks like it's no longer supported. But basically the whole source tree (i.e. all deps) need to have been compiled with -mmacosx-version-min=10.6