WHEN the Day Will Arrive When...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: WHEN the Day Will Arrive When...

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:I will NOT ever purchase Ipad things and in fact anything of that kind, those mobile contrivances....at most I would buy a netbook, if I do need it one day, which i do not believe.

Long Life to desktops regards
fern
In general I agree Fern....

But a poor doctor guy like me is exhausted from carrying his Pentium II 10 kg old laptop whenever he has a night shift at the hospital....

Besides,it too slow for me to analyse with....

So I took a 10 years loan to buy me an iPad 4 to get the job done regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

I understand you truly and in full. You MOVE. I do not. I write this in my home. And when i go to work in the radio and TV, i do not need nothing but my superb brain....

Very High IQ regards
fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:I understand you truly and in full. You MOVE. I do not. I write this in my home. And when i go to work in the radio and TV, i do not need nothing but my superb brain....

Very High IQ regards
fern
That I can't buy even with a 20 years loan regards,
Dr.D

:cry:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Nobody wants to hear me when I'm talking :d
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 66&t=17899
take it easy :)
fern

Post by fern »

Come on, certainly you are part of the league..

IQ 34 league regards
fern
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

GenoM wrote:Nobody wants to hear me when I'm talking :d
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 66&t=17899
+1 Geno :-) very nice post!
fern

Post by fern »

So I am not alone, several guys aim more or less to the same point. New programs with a GUI capable of acting, for us, a real partner capable of giving us lessons, correct our games, discover our weaknesses in them, help to to fix them, entertain us with sudden problems and lot more.
Computer speed and memory make this possible now.

Fern
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

a long time ago, when rybka first hit the scene, vas talked about GUI being the next frontier. i feel that, while ippolit was excellent for the advancement of computer chess, it made vas completely paranoid, & sadly he seems to have retired, so if he had not scratched his plan for work w/ GUI already, it's unlikely to ever happen from him.

i think an advanced GUI, capable of human-like analysis, would be phenomenal & surely an excellent seller. i'd think that with the UCI format any engine could be plugged in & it would be a matter of translating the engine analysis to human language. chessmaster was doing this many years ago; i agree that, with effort, something truly revolutionary could come along.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

yanquis1972 wrote:a long time ago, when rybka first hit the scene, vas talked about GUI being the next frontier. i feel that, while ippolit was excellent for the advancement of computer chess, it made vas completely paranoid, & sadly he seems to have retired, so if he had not scratched his plan for work w/ GUI already, it's unlikely to ever happen from him.

i think an advanced GUI, capable of human-like analysis, would be phenomenal & surely an excellent seller. i'd think that with the UCI format any engine could be plugged in & it would be a matter of translating the engine analysis to human language. chessmaster was doing this many years ago; i agree that, with effort, something truly revolutionary could come along.
An advanced GUI should be straightforward to learn for the dedicated user. The user should feel empowered by it. There is already an advanced GUI out there, Aquarium, but its analysis functions are unfathomable and counterintuitive, and those who have mastered the software ain't sharing much. A perfect example of how NOT to make a GUI.

CL
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

fern wrote:Good idea. I will try that. I believe I have some old Juniors in some drawer.
Nevertheless, my point is no just to get an entertainning engine, I already have Tal which is very much fun, BUT the GUI.
I am not thinking in just the beauty and colourful features of CM, though I like that, BUT in extra services that to date no program has delivered.
I had an idea that once I delivered in full detail to a programmer just to be said it was too difficult to implement.
Now i do not have the time, the stamina, the will etc to do it again.
I just wait my idea, written long ago, will be met by another guy sooner or later and then putted to work

waiting as Godot regards
fern
When PyChess was started, the goal was to create a nice and easy to use xboard replacement for Gnome desktop. But as time gone HGM added gtk widget support to xboard and other nice enhancements (themes etc.), so it's really hard to compete with him in standard feature completeness field. Of course we have our own ideas, but it would be very helpful, if you share your secret ideas. This way there will be more chance they will be implemented somewhere in the future. We are open for all feature request! Just write here:
http://code.google.com/p/pychess/issues/list

Regards
Bajusz Tamás