WHEN the Day Will Arrive When...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

WHEN the Day Will Arrive When...

Post by fern »

...when our programmers here will think more in terms of giving us entertainning and joy instead of 12,4 extra elo points and absolutely monstruous databases that only one person in a thoousand will ever study?

The path has been walked. Chessmaster produced very good stuff. Same Wittington with his Tal line. Even Mark Uniacke has given great strides with his greast new Hiarcs. The path is open, then. Many of us, humble players that have more than enough power with any 2200 engine, are waiting with his wallets prepared. There is LOT of room for even more imaginative schemes. I have seen the light, but I am no programmer. I just can imagine new things, several of them even communicated to some programers without other answer that "that is too difficult to do". And so they still try to win another couple of elo points, for not avail.
Come on, guys...!

Fern, the lonely voice in the desert.
carldaman

Re: WHEN the Day Will Arrive When...

Post by carldaman »

fern wrote:...when our programmers here will think more in terms of giving us entertainning and joy instead of 12,4 extra elo points and absolutely monstruous databases that only one person in a thoousand will ever study?

The path has been walked. Chessmaster produced very good stuff. Same Wittington with his Tal line. Even Mark Uniacke has given great strides with his greast new Hiarcs. The path is open, then. Many of us, humble players that have more than enough power with any 2200 engine, are waiting with his wallets prepared. There is LOT of room for even more imaginative schemes. I have seen the light, but I am no programmer. I just can imagine new things, several of them even communicated to some programers without other answer that "that is too difficult to do". And so they still try to win another couple of elo points, for not avail.
Come on, guys...!

I'm with you on this one, Fern :wink:

Please check out what I wrote in this post/thread:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 92&t=48003
I often hear programmers grumble that they added such and such knowledge into their engine, but then it only slowed it down and weakened it, and so on, but for a 2600-2700 engine my reaction would be "So what? The engine is still strong, isn't it? and it can now be a much more useful sparring and analysis partner because of the extra knowledge, etc. Most don't see it this way. Too many are desperate to only gain rating points, even if they're hundreds and hundreds of points away from the top.

I know if I had an engine that was rated anywhere around or above 2600-2700, I'd work hard to add as much knowledge into it as possible, and then also to give it the ability to play very risky and provocative chess (at the user's option), and would not care if my engine ended up being "only" 2400 strong in the end, as a result of my changes. Far from feeling like I failed, I'd feel a very strong sense of accomplishment.
Even if such a hypothetical engine ended up being a realistic 2000-2100 Elo strong this would be a real accomplishment. Too little effort is being put into this by the developers, on the whole. :(

Regards,
CL
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

I'd say that the ChessPro (Chesstiger) Ipad app by Christophe Theron is actuallly getting to this place!

Attractive GUI without being ostentatious.

LOTS of training levels.

ATTRACTIVE playing style.

Great options for learning while you play or go over one of your own games. Fairly interactive in this regard!

STRONG enough! When I double check with Houdini only rarely does Houdini refute the Chesstiger moves!

And instructive because of its style!

This is the app I play with and use to go over my games.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Hi Tom,

Do you or anyone know if ChessPro/Tiger by Christophe Theron is available for other mobile devices? (I don't have an Ipad).

Thanks,
CL
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

fern wrote:...when our programmers here will think more in terms of giving us entertainning and joy instead of 12,4 extra elo points and absolutely monstruous databases that only one person in a thoousand will ever study?

Come on, guys...!

Fern, there are other games on which AI is still weak. The Hex based strategical warfare games simulating battles and entire operations, or real time tactical games of ancient or medieval battles. The AI, no matter how they improve it, sucks badly compared to humans. After accommodating with a game, you can beat nicely AI in equal conditions, and you can set battles in 1:2 inferiority and still win, etc. Rome Total War II is one of the games of such kind scheduled to appear, better spend money on it. It's about our beloved Roman Republic and Roman Empire period, comprising also Greeks, Hellenists and Carthage. I just love to pit legions against phalanxes and mercenaries, and viceversa.

Lorica laminata regards,

Kai
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

i believe some of the older junior's might be up your alley, play-style wise. they are extremely customizeable, & i remember w/ one of the juniors (11?) i was able to whip up a ~/+2500 elo engine that played preposterous sacrificial chess. while it would no doubt typically defeat you, it would be massively entertaining whilst doing so, & if you wanted to take the time to play a bit 'anti-computer', or to take advantage of its sacrificial nature, you could probably score some wins & draws as well. just a suggestion.

iirc at some point junior became much less customizeable, so it'd be good to do research if you're interested.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi Colleague!

BTW, just reading fopr the second time the great book by Peter Heather, "The Fall of tjhe Roman Empire". I contacted Heather by mail and we have had a nice conversation. He is at two weeks of publishing kind of , he said to me, a continuation of the book I aforemetioned. The issue is how Rome was governed after 476 Ad and /or how the imperial idea was intended to be revived fist by Theodoric and his ostrogoths, then by Justinian, then by Charles the great and so on, until the Popes came in ...
I will purchse it for certain, but no kindle format. I still prefer paper.
Respect the game you mention I will give it a try.

Spata and Pylum regards
fern
fern

Post by fern »

Hi Carl:
It looks like Christopher Theron is aiming every product to mobile devices and in this field only to Mac stuff. I do not possees as you the Ipad and I will not, so I am waiting without hope a PC version,.
Mobiles I do not have an use for them regards
fern
fern

Post by fern »

Good idea. I will try that. I believe I have some old Juniors in some drawer.
Nevertheless, my point is no just to get an entertainning engine, I already have Tal which is very much fun, BUT the GUI.
I am not thinking in just the beauty and colourful features of CM, though I like that, BUT in extra services that to date no program has delivered.
I had an idea that once I delivered in full detail to a programmer just to be said it was too difficult to implement.
Now i do not have the time, the stamina, the will etc to do it again.
I just wait my idea, written long ago, will be met by another guy sooner or later and then putted to work

waiting as Godot regards
fern
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

fern wrote:Hi Colleague!

BTW, just reading fopr the second time the great book by Peter Heather, "The Fall of tjhe Roman Empire". I contacted Heather by mail and we have had a nice conversation. He is at two weeks of publishing kind of , he said to me, a continuation of the book I aforemetioned. The issue is how Rome was governed after 476 Ad and /or how the imperial idea was intended to be revived fist by Theodoric and his ostrogoths, then by Justinian, then by Charles the great and so on, until the Popes came in ...
I will purchse it for certain, but no kindle format. I still prefer paper.
Respect the game you mention I will give it a try.

Spata and Pylum regards
fern
Sure I will buy that too. Lucky you speaking with Peter Heather. I will be very interested especially about Justinian, the last Latin speaking Roman Emperor, his reconquest, Belisarius, Narses, the Civil Law. If not for the plague that hit the Eastern Roman Empire, maybe he would have managed much more.

And I would enjoy having an affair with Justinian's wife, Theodora. Beautiful, shrewd woman, who started as a dancer (if not prostitute), and ended as a reigning regent to a huge Empire.

Ensis falcata regards,

Kai