JA Linux Chess Distros Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Re: JA Linux Chess Distros Available

Post by Jim Ablett »

geots wrote:Jim, I don't even run Linux, but this almost makes me want to. I have to tell you this is some fine piece of work.

All the best,

george

Hi George,

You don't have to run Linux to try this out.
System loads from DVD and runs entirely in ram and make no changes to your Windows system.
It is blisteringly fast because it runs entirely in ram. You can remove DVD disc from the drive once the system has loaded.
When you reboot it will be gone unless you choose to create a save file to your hard disc to remember any settings/changes you have made.
Save file will not damage your windows installation either. It will be saved as a regular file alongside your windows installation.

Jim.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

How much RAM does that require?
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

hgm wrote:How much RAM does that require?

Hi HG,

With the regular Puppy Precise Linux distro on which this based you can probably get by with about 300mb of ram.
My distros have much larger requirements. You will probably need about a gig of ram for the 32 bit version and 1.5 gig for the 64 bit version.
This is because of all the extra chess stuff I have put on the disc including a full programming environment. Practically all of the chess software
was compiled from source on the actual distro itself.

Jim.
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Sorry I forgot to update the download link for the new 'FINAL' version.

If you are downloading the iso now it is version 2 instead of version 3. Cancel it, refresh the web page and re-download the new iso.

The latest iso image is named 'pup-precise32-chess3.iso'

Jim.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Jim, why did you pick Puppy Linux to remaster?

Having used puppy linux on and off for years my gripe with it is the 'save file' tends to corrupt if the machine's not shut down cleanly.

Consider moving the project to a more stable platform: debian/ubuntu.
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:Jim, why did you pick Puppy Linux to remaster?

Having used puppy linux on and off for years my gripe with it is the 'save file' tends to corrupt if the machine's not shut down cleanly.

Consider moving the project to a more stable platform: debian/ubuntu.
Hi Jesse,

I like the fact that it runs in ram, runs very fast and I can carry it with me on a usb stick, plus it comes with an easy to use remastering tool built-in. And I'm not smart enough to attempt to remaster a debian/ubuntu distro.
You are correct about the save file. You should always have a copy of your save file stored somewhere in case of mishaps. Other than that I find it to be a very stable system that is not easily broken.

Jim.
Alex_Schmidt

Post by Alex_Schmidt »

Hi Jim,

I've installed the 32-bit distro in VirtualBox to avoid using a physical CD anythime I want to boot the distro.
I've chosen the frugal option with grub4dos on a small virtual HDD (1 GB) for the sfs file (and some other system files required).
Booting from the virtual HDD works fine. When I shutdown the distro it says that it cannot save the sfs file ("failed to mount dev/sda3").
Of course by HDD is /sda1. Is there any configuration to change the partition where the session file is stored when the system shuts down?

Thanks!

Alex
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

Alex_Schmidt wrote:Hi Jim,

I've installed the 32-bit distro in VirtualBox to avoid using a physical CD anythime I want to boot the distro.
I've chosen the frugal option with grub4dos on a small virtual HDD (1 GB) for the sfs file (and some other system files required).
Booting from the virtual HDD works fine. When I shutdown the distro it says that it cannot save the sfs file ("failed to mount dev/sda3").
Of course by HDD is /sda1. Is there any configuration to change the partition where the session file is stored when the system shuts down?

Thanks!

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry that's a small remastering glitch,. The save session file wizard which runs when you first shut down isn't working.
There is an icon on the desktop called 'pupsaveconfig' which will take you through setting up the save file properly.
Delete any save session files on the system, reboot, then run the 'pupsaveconfig' program.

Jim.
Alex_Schmidt

Post by Alex_Schmidt »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for this hint! Works fine! :)
Great job!

Alex
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Hi Jim,

If you ever get the urge to try fiddling with Xubuntu remastering the distro seems dog simple. Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWk7FCevYBU

Maybe I'll try making a similar system based on xubuntu.

fyi, Once the iso is made is can go on a usb easily enough with a preinstalled program 'Startup disk creator". (i think) Programs and the OS can be loaded into ram ...seem to remember it being an optional boot parameter. End result is about the same as what you've already got, difference is the ubuntu remix is stable.