10 years of Computer Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: 10 years of Computer Chess

Post by Laskos »

Cubeman wrote:Impressive results, but you mentioned that in many games Houdini got advantage out of the opening. Was Houdini using a different more modern book and Shredder was left with it's own book from 2003 ? Or were they both using the same book?
Same book, Perfect2012 tournament, a specialized short book for testing. Played same position twice, white and black. I was saiyng that Houdini sometimes got advantage quickly, 3-5 moves after exiting the book, with sometimes diverging evaluation from Shredder.

Kai
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Laskos wrote:
Cubeman wrote:Impressive results, but you mentioned that in many games Houdini got advantage out of the opening. Was Houdini using a different more modern book and Shredder was left with it's own book from 2003 ? Or were they both using the same book?
Same book, Perfect2012 tournament, a specialized short book for testing. Played same position twice, white and black. I was saiyng that Houdini sometimes got advantage quickly, 3-5 moves after exiting the book, with sometimes diverging evaluation from Shredder.

Kai
Thanks
jplchess

Post by jplchess »

I agree with you that I made the obvious mistake that there has been 12 years of the 21st century.

If you included Chess960, what additional software changes are out there?
All I can think of is to add the opening and endgame databases.

If you can find a "better mousetrap" with Houdini 3 on the same hardware, please tell us!!!!

It is like saying hydrogen bombs destroy the Earth in 6 minutes. Have you found a better warfare in a shorter amount of time?

The world might end soon, :D
Jonathan Lee
Don

Post by Don »

Houdini wrote:That's an interesting perspective, I've made an entry on the Houdini Facebook page about it.
From Shredder 7's point of view, Houdini 3 is playing virtually perfect chess.

Will it be possible to sustain the 50 Elo/year software improvement over the next 10 years?

Robert
That is a good question. I think it should be obtainable for at least 3 or 4 more years but there has to be a point of diminishing returns sooner or later. Chess is finite and a perfect player cannot have an infinite rating.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Don wrote:
Houdini wrote:That's an interesting perspective, I've made an entry on the Houdini Facebook page about it.

Will it be possible to sustain the 50 Elo/year software improvement over the next 10 years?

Robert
That is a good question. I think it should be obtainable for at least 3 or 4 more years but there has to be a point of diminishing returns sooner or later. Chess is finite and a perfect player cannot have an infinite rating.
I agree on the expectation of diminishing returns "sooner or later". But in theory, yes, a perfect player can have an infinite rating if it is the only perfect player in the world and no other player knows how to draw or win against the perfect player, so all players lose against him. It is clear that this won't happen in practice but it *could* happen.

Sven
Don

Post by Don »

Sven Schüle wrote:
Don wrote:

Robert
I agree on the expectation of diminishing returns "sooner or later". But in theory, yes, a perfect player can have an infinite rating if it is the only perfect player in the world and no other player knows how to draw or win against the perfect player, so all players lose against him. It is clear that this won't happen in practice but it *could* happen.

Sven
I think you are thinking of this incorrectly.

The ELO system assigns an ELO difference to 2 players based on their expected results unless you know in advance that one player will never lose you don't really know what that is. It has to be sampled to find out. When the difference is huge, it requires enormous samples before you can even talk about it.

Example. You and I play 1 game and you win. How do you estimate our rating difference based on just this result? The score is 1 to 0 in your favor and that converts to an infinite rating difference between us. But it also means that not enough samples were taken. In some sense 1-0 is the same as 100000 - 0 unless you start looking at the error margins but I think even those are meaningless with scores like that.

If you somehow KNOW that player A will always beat B no matter what, you can assume an infinite difference between them but I think you realize that this would be very short-lived if the losing player just starting playing random moves. Random moves are much stronger than losing move because a random player will draw once in a while even against a perfect player. You scenario has to assume that one player is play so badly it's far worse than random. You almost have to assume they are cooperating or rigging the games to achieve a truly infinite result. For example you could build a player who always resigned on his first move, he would be infinitely weaker than even a random player.

Incidentally, I always thought that it would be a good thing if the rating system was calibrated based on setting a rating of ZERO to a player who plays a uniformly random move from among all the legal moves. If we define that as ZERO ELO, we have a system that will not require calibration over the years and decades and centuries. Yes, I know there are issues with this such as transitivity between styles of players rating compression and such, but at least this is a start.

I checked this out long ago and most games end in checkmate. Your intuition is probably that these games would mostly end in "aimless" 50 move draws but that is not the case.

I think it was Don Beal who showed that if you have a search with a random evaluation function it will crush a random player - it is many levels ahead of this!
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

[quote="] Random moves are much stronger than losing move because a random player will draw once in a while even against a perfect player. [/quote]

Hi Don,
the above statement doesn't make sense, as random moves are more likely to be bad, leading to a loss sooner rather than later, even if some random moves may actually be good along the way.

Interesting idea about calibrating to zero based on random moves, though.

Regards,
CL
Don

Post by Don »

carldaman wrote:
Random moves are much stronger than losing move because a random player will draw once in a while even against a perfect player.
Hi Don,
the above statement doesn't make sense, as random moves are more likely to be bad, leading to a loss sooner rather than later, even if some random moves may actually be good along the way.

Interesting idea about calibrating to zero based on random moves, though.

Regards,
CL
I don't understand your difficulty. A random move might be the best move on the board and thus 2 random moves in a row have a chance to be two best moves in a row. 3 is even less likely but still possible and so on. Therefore it is theoretically possible for a random player to play a perfect game, i.e. every move is best. I never claimed it was likely, but the context of the argument was about playing infinitely bad and that is almost impossible to do unless you simply resign on every move.

Chances are that a random player will play horribly but due to the laws of probability it will occasionally play good enough to draw even a perfect player.
Of course I understand how rare this is, but it's not impossible.

Most people have a backwards model of how chess strength works. It has nothing to do with you, it's all about your opponent. You cannot "go after" the half point, you have to wait for your opponent to give it to you while not making a blunder yourself.

There is really no such thing as a "great" move. You are never in a losing position and muster so much brain power that you create a win. You hear language like that in chess books that romanticize chess sometimes, especially the older book that fawn over the old masters. But that is not how it works.

So for a random player to play a "good" game we really mean that it is "lucky" enough to avoid all the game theoretical half or full point losses.

I think a lot of positions have multiple moves that are (theoretically) the same so it's not quite so hard as having to find 1 move out of 40 for 50 or 60 moves in row. In some endings you are shuffling pieces and there are few bad moves - most of the moves are adequate. But in many position there is only 1 move that must be played to avoid throwing away the win or draw.

One theoretical truth here is that if you are losing, you cannot play a bad move - unless you define ALL moves as bad of course.

So the rule is that you don't play good chess even though we often say that. What we really mean is that you play less bad moves that other guy.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

The random move argument is predicated on playing an "almost" infinite number of games, though. Reminds me of the old saying about monkeys and a typewriter; eventually, they'll come up with a Shakespeare play, but the odds are impractically long...

CL
Don

Post by Don »

carldaman wrote:The random move argument is predicated on playing an "almost" infinite number of games, though. Reminds me of the old saying about monkeys and a typewriter; eventually, they'll come up with a Shakespeare play, but the odds are impractically long...

CL
It doesn't matter how many games it takes, what matters in the context of this discussion is only what ELO random play generates vs a perfect player. It's not nearly as much as you think. It's a low number, one you could count to in less than a day. It would be measured as a few tens of thousands of ELO points - we would not have to revert to comparing it the atoms in the universe or anything like that. That's not infinite - or even the type of number that amazes people.

You cannot sustain a very high rating even if you take a draw every few billion years playing several games per second. That's how the rating formula works.

By the way, a random legal move playing program cannot be compared to a monkey generating plays. A random perfect game is enormously more likely that even a couple of average sentences of grammatically correct and properly spelled English by random keystrokes.