Introducing Octochess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Introducing Octochess

Post by Adam Hair »

JuLieN wrote:
tmokonen wrote:I have to say, Jack is one handsome fellow. :lol:
Hehe, and in good company. ;) Beware to William, he bites!
CHOMP!
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

tmokonen wrote:I tried running your Windows compile on my non-SSE 4.2 x64 system, and it didn't seem to work. I guess it's a compile that would need a CPU with POPCNT support?
Yes, Octochess makes use of the POPCNT instruction through the __popcnt64 intrinsic. SSE 4.2 shouldn't be required though, it's a different CPU feature. I'll see if I can create a build that works without POPCNT.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

sje wrote:If your program has an account at ICC, you are welcome to match it against my program Symbolic -- it's back after a five month hiatus.
Unfortunately I don't have an account at ICC. I do not plan to sign up for another subscription service at this point.
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

tmokonen wrote:Wait, what, the FileZilla guy made a chess engine? Cool! Thank you for the new engine, Tim.
I was surprised when I read the fileziila comment, so thanks for both programs Tim.

It's always good news to hear about new engines, and imho even more if they're GPL licensed.

Cheers

E Diaz
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.
sje

Post by sje »

Codesquid wrote:
sje wrote:If your program has an account at ICC, you are welcome to match it against my program Symbolic -- it's back after a five month hiatus.
Unfortunately I don't have an account at ICC. I do not plan to sign up for another subscription service at this point.
You could get a FICS account for free, although you first must perform an elaborate song and dance to receive an approval of a program player.

Symbolic has a FICS account, but is currently inactive there. This will change at some point, but not right away.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Codesquid wrote: Yes, Octochess makes use of the POPCNT instruction through the __popcnt64 intrinsic. SSE 4.2 shouldn't be required though, it's a different CPU feature. I'll see if I can create a build that works without POPCNT.
My CPU, in a low end 64 bit laptop, supports neither POPCNT nor SSE 4.2. Thanks for the offer of a new compile, Tim, but you don't have to go out of your way to make something special for me.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

My CPU, in a low end 64 bit laptop, supports neither POPCNT nor SSE 4.2. Thanks for the offer of a new compile, Tim, but you don't have to go out of your way to make something special for me.
Ok, I will :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octoche ... tel-ja.zip

I don't think this will run on any Os earlier than Vista. I saw some Vista/Win7 api-specific calls in the source.

Many thanks for the release of your engine Tim.

Jim.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Thank you, Jim.
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

Thank you Jim. I've added an #if around the non-native popcount and applied your changes to the repository.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »