WCCC Schedule + Book Rules + programmers representative

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rémi Coulom

Re: WCCC Schedule + Book Rules + programmers representative

Post by Rémi Coulom »

The main problem with the ICGA is that, for many year, its main purpose has been to pay the salary of Jaap's secretary. So every year, they have to struggle to find a sponsor that will pay a lot of money, and do all the organization work. When they can't find such a generous sponsor, Jaap organises the tournament at his university, and tries to find all kinds of ways to raise as much money as possible from it.

If you are interested in a cheap tournament, I recommend the programmers tournament. It is organized by Richard Pijl in Belgium. Operators are not allowed. It has a great atmosphere.
http://rpijl.home.xs4all.nl/html/programmers_tour.html

Rémi
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

Thanks for the hint, it seems a very interesting tourney. I would like to play in IOCSC 2011 in Carugate (Italy) that should be held from 11 to 12 november... if, after that tourney, i'll choose to play even in WCCC, could be too late to subscribe?
Suj

Post by Suj »

computer chess is looking very bleak. ICGA increases fees for its event and Leiden organisers allow rybka entry.

I guess this is going to result with both tourneys having very few entries?
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

For most participants, the cost of Hotel, food, and trip is much more than the cost of registration. So it probably won't have such a huge effect. And for the price of the registration, you get at least a free dinner.

Of course, it is best when a sponsor pays for everything, but finding sponsors for computer chess tournaments is far from easy nowadays.

Rémi
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Rémi Coulom wrote:For most participants, the cost of Hotel, food, and trip is much more than the cost of registration. So it probably won't have such a huge effect.
There's a saying: "The drop that floods the bucket".

You're right that it costs a lot to play a tournament like this (and you get essentially nothing in return). Making it more costly doesn't help. Particularly as you already explained what the money is used for.

Increasing the prices like this (and punishing returning amateurs) seems to be designed to encourage only corporate sponsored entities to participate (or one-off academic efforts, which hence won't be competitive).
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Rémi Coulom wrote:For most participants, the cost of Hotel, food, and trip is much more than the cost of registration. So it probably won't have such a huge effect.
There's a saying: "The drop that floods the bucket".

You're right that it costs a lot to play a tournament like this (and you get essentially nothing in return). Making it more costly doesn't help. Particularly as you already explained what the money is used for.

Increasing the prices like this (and punishing returning amateurs) seems to be designed to encourage only corporate sponsored entities to participate (or one-off academic efforts, which hence won't be competitive).
Somebody has to pay for not collecting somebody's high fee any longer, eh...

But seriously, I don't presume there is an evil plan behind it, just not thinking it through. If fees have to be raised to make the event possible, which is not a surprise given finding sponsoring is so hard now, why not just keep two categories (amateurs and professionals) and raise both by the same amount (or proportionally, whatever looks fair). Don't split the amateur category and shift the burden on the shoulders of the old timers alone.

P.S.: An even better way to get entries is to put an actual entry form on the website as advertised. I tried to find it but my search foo failed me.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

marcelk wrote: P.S.: An even better way to get entries is to put an actual entry form on the website as advertised. I tried to find it but my search foo failed me.
same problem here!
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
marcelk wrote: P.S.: An even better way to get entries is to put an actual entry form on the website as advertised. I tried to find it but my search foo failed me.
same problem here!
I am glad to see so many people are impatient to register. I will make the registration form soon, probably this week-end.

Rémi
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

This is Jaap's reply. It seems good to me.
Jaap wrote: Dear Remi and David,

This night I completed the Journal and arrived at similar ideas as Remi send to me in his reaction. My remarks are as follows
1. I would like to disbanding the continuous discussion on semi professionals.
2. I would like to attract new persons (fresh amateurs)
3. I would like to include the ICGA membership fee for one year because now I always have with 5-6 people discussions on this topic.
4. As one can understand the costs are for 10 years the same and should be raised.

My new proposal is
Fresh amateurs: 80 euro (in the hope to attract new people)
Amateurs / semiprofessionals: 100 euro.

I look forward to you approval.

Best regards,

Jaap

-----Original Message-----
Sent: woensdag 31 augustus 2011 21:04
To: J.W. Hellemons
Cc: David Levy
Subject: Re: Emailing: RULES FOR THE 19th WORLD COMPUTER.docx

Hi,

Programmers are not happy with the raised fees. It seems particularly strange to punish the frequent participants.

Rémi
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Yes, this is very reasonable. In fact, due to the membership issue it means the fees are 10 Euro lower for first-timers now.

How long is one a "fresh amateur"?