Moderation, please ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IWB

Moderation, please ...

Post by IWB »

... move all Rybka talk to the "Engine Origins sub forum!!

Or remove that sub forum as it makes no sense anymore!

Bye
Ingo
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Moderation, please ...

Post by JuLieN »

I second Ingo: those "Rybka scandal" threads are invading the general forum. I suggest that all but one (that will be the one and only official thread about the Rybka scandal) be moved to the Engine Origin subforum.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
fern

Post by fern »

Ingo, this issue has trespassed the barriers of his specific content. This is high politics... It engages with many important things asociates to this trade. No sense to bury it where you say.

My best

Fern, moderator
IWB

Post by IWB »

Fernande, it is as much politics as the Robbo case is - nothing more, nothing less! So either Rybka to "Engine Origins" or removal of the sub forum. All other things are biased.

Bye
Ingo
fern

Post by fern »

Ingo, is Fernando, no Fernande. Besides, I would have left the case you mention here, but in those times I was not moderator. I think that Rybka affair deserves for a while some tribune because touch lot of things of some importance.
It looks to me as too much olympic just throw the matter to that forum bin.

Fern
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

IWB wrote:... move all Rybka talk to the "Engine Origins sub forum!!

Bye
Ingo

Hello Ingo,

As a member you have a right to express your views.

Requesting moderator intervention in this way is inappropriate however.

We - the moderators - would have seen the level of postings on the Rybka issue. There is clearly a high level of interest in this matter judging from the views and the pages of posts on it.

The removal of that sub-forum is perhaps a matter worthy of discussion but not like this.

The Rybka talk, which consists of postings by your fellow members incidentally, will remain here. My term will be over in a short while and then, of course, the membership can vote with their feet (fingers?) on this and other issues.

There are posts which some have found offensive but considering the totality of the arguments, it was decided to let all views contend, offensive or otherwise. So, no editing....yet. That is however always a moderator call. Please use the complaint button in that event.

Later.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hello Fernando (sorry typo)
fern wrote:Ingo, is Fernando, no Fernande. Besides, I would have left the case you mention here, but in those times I was not moderator. I think that Rybka affair deserves for a while some tribune because touch lot of things of some importance.

Fern
("to olympic" nice expression!)
But in general we agree. The logical consequence is to remove the sub forum! You are a mod now, it is in your responsibility AND ability! What holds you back ...

Bye
INgo
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hi Roger,
Roger Brown wrote:
IWB wrote:... move all Rybka talk to the "Engine Origins sub forum!!

Bye
Ingo

Hello Ingo,

As a member you have a right to express your views.

Requesting moderator intervention in this way is inappropriate however.

We - the moderators - would have seen the level of postings on the Rybka issue. There is clearly a high level of interest in this matter judging from the views and the pages of posts on it.

The removal of that sub-forum is perhaps a matter worthy of discussion but not like this.

The Rybka talk, which consists of postings by your fellow members incidentally, will remain here. My term will be over in a short while and then, of course, the membership can vote with their feet (fingers?) on this and other issues.

There are posts which some have found offensive but considering the totality of the arguments, it was decided to let all views contend, offensive or otherwise. So, no editing....yet. That is however always a moderator call. Please use the complaint button in that event.

Later.
I dont have a problem with a decision of an referee, but I do not see what and why my request is "inappropriate"!?
Actually I do not see another way to express it than this. I think your strong reaction is simply because you don't want to touch that "hot potato.

Bye
Ingo
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

IWB wrote:Hello Fernando (sorry typo)
fern wrote:Ingo, is Fernando, no Fernande. Besides, I would have left the case you mention here, but in those times I was not moderator. I think that Rybka affair deserves for a while some tribune because touch lot of things of some importance.

Fern
But in general we agree. The logical consequence is to remove the sub forum! You are a mod now, it is in your responsibility AND ability! What holds you back ...

Bye
INgo
Removing the subforum would be a VERY bad idea, Ingo: that would be the promise of lots of mud in public area, while now angry and/or challenged people can safely throw mud at each others in their private place without annoying anyone.

I personally never visit this subforum, and I remember that Talkchess was becoming a very unpleasant and stressful place before it was created.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hello Julien,

JuLieN wrote:
IWB wrote:Hello Fernando (sorry typo)

Fern

Bye
INgo
Removing the subforum would be a VERY bad idea, Ingo: that would be the promise of lots of mud in public area, while now angry and/or challenged people can safely throw mud at each others in their private place without annoying anyone.

I personally never visit this subforum, and I remember that Talkchess was becoming a very unpleasant and stressful place before it was created.
You have a point with the "stressfull place", this is really a moderating word which I have to agree to.

But my view is more a priciple one. Is this subforum to chanel clone talk or to ease the feelings of some. In the first case move Rybka talk there, in the second we can ask if this forum is to discuss disputed topics or to have it quiet and silent?

I am out here now. I think I made my point clear.

Bye
INgo