ChessGUI 0.212 is out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

ChessGUI 0.212 is out

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ChessGUI 0.212 is out

- even lag-free games can now be paused
- inverted Swiss
- Pgn convertions

Users who want to use TCEC pgn in ChessBase GUI may want to check out "Convert Pgn" in menu.

How to resize ChessGUI 0.211 and above
======================================
ChessGUI resizes only at start-up. Therefore if you change "GUI Size", ChessGUI will resize at next start-up.
If ChessGUI is too small to display readable text, either double-click on board of main ChessGUI screen or manually set GUI_Size to 100 in ChsGUI_Ini.INI. In either case, you must restart ChessGUI and then choose a better value for "GUI Size".

Only ChessGUI.exe has changed since ChessGUI 0.207

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Graham Banks

Re: ChessGUI 0.212 is out

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:ChessGUI 0.212 is out

- even lag-free games can now be paused
- inverted Swiss
- Pgn convertions

Users who want to use TCEC pgn in ChessBase GUI may want to check out "Convert Pgn" in menu.

How to resize ChessGUI 0.211 and above
======================================
ChessGUI resizes only at start-up. Therefore if you change "GUI Size", ChessGUI will resize at next start-up.
If ChessGUI is too small to display readable text, either double-click on board of main ChessGUI screen or manually set GUI_Size to 100 in ChsGUI_Ini.INI. In either case, you must restart ChessGUI and then choose a better value for "GUI Size".

Only ChessGUI.exe has changed since ChessGUI 0.207

Matthias.
Paused, saved upon exit and resumed upon restarting ChessGUI?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote: Paused, saved upon exit and resumed upon restarting ChessGUI?
Hi Graham,

when you pause a game in ChessGUI, the computer can be temporarily used for something else. Don't shutdown ChessGUI.

Cheers,
Matthias.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Paused, saved upon exit and resumed upon restarting ChessGUI?
Hi Graham,

when you pause a game in ChessGUI, the computer can be temporarily used for something else. Don't shutdown ChessGUI.

Cheers,
Matthias.
Okay. Thanks. :)

I still miss being able to edit an engine's parameters and using them from the start of a tournament. That's the only disappointing aspect for me at present. Everything else is great! My favourite GUI for engine v engine testing, ahead of Fritz.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
I still miss being able to edit an engine's parameters and using them from the start of a tournament. That's the only disappointing aspect for me at present. Everything else is great! My favourite GUI for engine v engine testing, ahead of Fritz.

Cheers,
Graham.
I don't understand. I edit engine parameters once and it is immediately after I install a new engine, before its first game.

Matthias.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Great work Matthias.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
I don't understand. I edit engine parameters once and it is immediately after I install a new engine, before its first game.

Matthias.
If an engine can use more than 1 thread, I edit the parameters immediately after I install it for it to use only one thread. However, when I start a tournament, I don't get the choice of checking the parameters and that engine reverts back to using 4 threads.
I then have to interrupt that game. Then when I go back into the tournament, I am allowed to edit the parameters to want I want and all is okay with that engine from that point on.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote: If an engine can use more than 1 thread, I edit the parameters immediately after I install it for it to use only one thread. However, when I start a tournament, I don't get the choice of checking the parameters and that engine reverts back to using 4 threads.
I then have to interrupt that game. Then when I go back into the tournament, I am allowed to edit the parameters to want I want and all is okay with that engine from that point on.

Cheers,
Graham.
1) Install new engine.
2) Click on its name in list box on the left.
3) Edit its parameters through tab "Eng Options 2".
4) After installing all new engines, restart ChessGUI.

Hiarcs alone has a bug and therefore needs "has UCI_LimitStrength bug".

Cheers,
Matthias.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: If an engine can use more than 1 thread, I edit the parameters immediately after I install it for it to use only one thread. However, when I start a tournament, I don't get the choice of checking the parameters and that engine reverts back to using 4 threads.

Cheers,
Graham.
1) Install new engine.

Cheers,
Matthias.
Thanks Matthias for always listening and trying to be helpful. :)

I wasn't restarting ChessGUI after installing the new engines and editing and saving their parameters. I'll see how I go following your advice when I start my next gauntlet or tournament.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:1) Install new engine.

Cheers,
Matthias.
That bug was only present in Hiarcs 12. Hiarcs 13 should be okay.
gbanksnz at gmail.com