ChessGUI is back.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

OliverUwira

Re: ChessGUI is back.

Post by OliverUwira »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
OliverUwira wrote:
Hi Matthias,

I wondered if you could tip me off about your implementation of the Swiss pairing and if your algorithm would have a chance for certification by FIDE.

I found implementing the pairing algorithm as specified by FIDE extremely difficult and I am still clueless about how to tackle it properly.

I've once read a paper about solving Swiss pairing as a Stable-Roommate problem, but up until now I haven't found any code examples of a SR algorithm. So the best I can think of is devising some sort of branch-and-bound optimization.

ChessGUI Swiss Algo

3) Try to get a better opponent Opp2 by repeating 2a and 2b, looking for an
opponent with white/black statistics from previous rounds that match
Eng better than the white/black statistics of Opp1. The criteria are:
3a) how often have Eng, Opp1, Opp2 played white/black.
3b) which colour did Eng, Opp1, Opp2 play in previous round.

Currently, ChessGUI has not yet implemented step 3, but in eng-eng
tournaments it is far less important than in human tournaments.

I did not even consider fulfilling any FIDE Swiss pairing rules/proposals.

Matthias.
Step 3 is in fact the critical part of implementing the FIDE rules. Also very intricate are the rules for upfloating and downfloating, i.e. if you have to pair a player against somebody with more or less points because of an uneven number of players in a score group etc...

This is what, in more extreme cases, made my algorithm blow up the last time I tried...

Nothing wrong with ChessGUI taking a more pragmatic approach. As long as the tournaments obey the rule "n rounds <=> approx. 2^n players", there shouldn't be problems anyway.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Gregory Owett wrote:Hi Matthias,

Could You sum up the files you need to save and copy in the new version, so that You do not have to reconfigure the GUI and reinstalling the engines each time.

Thank you in advance!
Gregory
ChsGUI_Eng.TXT
ChsGUI_Cfg.ini
ChsGUI_Ini.INI

And if you want to be able to unnecessarily edit UCI parameters immediately, the CONFIG folder also.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:

Could You sum up the files you need to save and copy in the new version, so that You do not have to reconfigure the GUI and reinstalling the engines each time.

Thank you in advance!
Gregory
ChsGUI_Eng.TXT
ChsGUI_Cfg.ini
ChsGUI_Ini.INI

And if you want to be able to unnecessarily edit UCI parameters immediately, the CONFIG folder also.

Matthias.
Thanks for that final hint Matthias. That was what was holding me back from switching completely to the latest versions. 8-)

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
ChsGUI_Eng.TXT
ChsGUI_Cfg.ini
ChsGUI_Ini.INI

Matthias.
Thanks for that final hint Matthias. That was what was holding me back from switching completely to the latest versions. 8-)

Cheers,
Graham.
You can also create the contents of the CONFIG folder in just a few minutes by playing a test games gauntlet at bullet TC with default UCI parameters. :wink:

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
ChsGUI_Eng.TXT
ChsGUI_Cfg.ini
ChsGUI_Ini.INI

Matthias.

Cheers,
Graham.
You can also create the contents of the CONFIG folder in just a few minutes by playing a test games gauntlet at bullet TC with default UCI parameters. :wink:

Matthias.
Yes I know, but that was an additional thing that I didn't want to spend time doing, especially when the engines I was using had worked fine under previous versions.
Now users have a choice, which can't be a bad thing. 8-)

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:

Thank you in advance!
Gregory
ChsGUI_Eng.TXT
ChsGUI_Cfg.ini
ChsGUI_Ini.INI

Matthias.
Thanks Matthias !