Glass 1.6 - New with Personalities!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edmund

Re: Glass 1.6 - New with Personalities!!

Post by Edmund »

fern wrote:Thank you guys, i will give it a try...

Fern
Graham Banks wrote:Thanks Edmund and Pawel. :)
meschle wrote:Thanks playing it now :)
Guerrero wrote:I like it. Thanks !
Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you like it!
Edmund
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Edmund wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Early indications here are that Glass 1.6 default seems to be quite a bit stronger than previous versions. :)

Cheers,
Graham.
Great to hear, Graham. I am closely following your tournament.
Well it won't be much of a contest if Glass continues on from the way it's started - six straight wins so far! :o
gbanksnz at gmail.com
govert

Post by govert »

Edmund wrote:Hello,

Also we would be very interested in your opinions on the playing strength of the current personalities. The Elo-classifications were set by many engine vs engine games and a couple of human vs engine games. But please tell us, should you think we are very much off the actual playing level for a certain personality.
This is great! I've been looking for a good engine with personalities of different strenghts. I'm pretty weak myself. So I'll start with the worst personality and work my way up and see how far I get before I get beaten to a pulp!
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Jimbo I wrote:Hi,
I'm having some trouble with the installation. I'm getting a "create process error" message when trying to install either executable in Arena in a 32-bit system. Are these engines 64-bit by chance?
If you assign a tablebases path and cache size in the ini file, your error message should go away.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
PK

Post by PK »

Thank You - all of You - for the kind reception of the new Glass. I have updated web page and distribution packet, including partial documentation of Glass in a pdf file.

There is one caveat for Arena users: Arena tends to set protocol as "Autodetect" and then uses Winboard. Glass has only basic support of this protocol, so all the personalities options become unavailable, together with game analysis etc. To circumvent this, it is necessary to change "Autodetect" to "UCI", using engine management panel.
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Edmund wrote:
I'm having some trouble with the installation. I'm getting a "create process error" message when trying to install either executable in Arena in a 32-bit system. Are these engines 64-bit by chance?
Hello James,
Glass has simple 32-bit compiles without very platform dependent requirements. Can you actually run the executable stand-alone in console-mode, that means right from the windows explorer? Does it report any other error-messages/error-codes?

regards,
Edmund
Hi Edmund

I thought I'd found my problem when a second download was larger than the first, but that wasn't the problem. You must have added a pdf user manual a bit later. (Nice touch) :)

I'm still scratching my head over this. When I try to run either version in console mode (tournament or weak executable), it doesn't run. I just get a message saying that it isn't a valid Win32 application. The previous Glass versions 1.3 and 1.5 ran fine on this PC.
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Graham Banks wrote:
If you assign a tablebases path and cache size in the ini file, your error message should go away.

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham

No such luck, I'm afraid. I tried that and it doesn't help. The executables still won't run, even in console mode.
swami

Post by swami »

STS confirms that there's indeed decent improvement with 1.6:

comparison with 1.5:

http://sites.google.com/site/strategict ... st-results

1000 Positions
10 seconds per position
Hardware: Q6600, 32 bits, 2 GB RAM, 2.4 GHZ. Arena 2.01 GUI.

Best wishes,
Swami
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Jimbo I wrote:
Edmund wrote:
Hello James,
Glass has simple 32-bit compiles without very platform dependent requirements. Can you actually run the executable stand-alone in console-mode, that means right from the windows explorer? Does it report any other error-messages/error-codes?

regards,
Edmund
Hi Edmund

I thought I'd found my problem when a second download was larger than the first, but that wasn't the problem. You must have added a pdf user manual a bit later. (Nice touch) :)

I'm still scratching my head over this. When I try to run either version in console mode (tournament or weak executable), it doesn't run. I just get a message saying that it isn't a valid Win32 application. The previous Glass versions 1.3 and 1.5 ran fine on this PC.
It's working just fine on my 64-bit PC, so I know the files aren't corrupt. One out of two ain't bad, I guess. :)
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

swami wrote:STS confirms that there's indeed decent improvement with 1.6
Thats great news!
Thanks for the tests, Swami