Bulgarian organizers take Chessbase to court

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Bulgarian organizers take Chessbase to court

Post by AdminX »

"The Bulgarian organizers of the Anand-Topalov World Championship match take Chessbase to court for “violating copyright rules”. Chessbase transmitted the moves of the match live on their Playchess server, against the will of the Bulgarians."

Source: http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/bulga ... more-25934

:?: :?: Well will other Online Chess servers who broadcast relays also be included?:?: :?:

Silvio Danailov: “With Chessdom we have commercial agreement signed. Susan Polgar and Sergey Shipov I respect very much. Both are excellent professionals, doing a lot for chess, making it more popular. They are not commercial and don’t resell the games. Having in mind all this, they had our permission.

With ICC I have long collaboration with mutual interest for both sides. But I explained [them] already before that this is the last time; next time they should paid like everybody else.”
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Bulgarian organizers take Chessbase to court

Post by Damir »

I kind of like that Topalov lost the match, with all the bullshit his team is coming up with, they certainly deserve nothing less..
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

They won't get anywhere with that. Once a chess move is played you can relay that move anywhere. It is similar to relaying the score of a football match ... try suing CNN for giving you what the half time score of the Super Ball is. I mean really ...
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Topalov & team come across as a nasty bunch. I'm so glad Ananad won - Topalov would have made a terrible world champion.

He has an entertaining style of play but his chess isn't deep enough or rounded enough to be world champion. Anyway...Carlsen for the win!
djbl

Post by djbl »

Werewolf wrote:Topalov & team come across as a nasty bunch. I'm so glad Ananad won - Topalov would have made a terrible world champion.

He has an entertaining style of play but his chess isn't deep enough or rounded enough to be world champion. Anyway...Carlsen for the win!
i'm also glad anand won, but only because topolov and his gang are basically horrible little cretins. but i do think anand, although he is obviously a thoroughly nice chap and a gentleman is kind of boring and doesn't do a great deal for the image of chess. i think carlsen will be the boost that chess needs, just like fischer was in the late 60s/early 70s. he is the breath of fresh air, and his youth and image should serve chess well. it is unlikely that a 40 something yr old mild mannered, totally conventional type of guy like anand will inspire young kids to take up chess. but i am sure carlsen will, or already has.
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

AdminX wrote:"The Bulgarian organizers of the Anand-Topalov World Championship match take Chessbase to court for “violating copyright rules”. Chessbase transmitted the moves of the match live on their Playchess server, against the will of the Bulgarians."

:?: :?: Well will other Online Chess servers who broadcast relays also be included?:?: :?:

Silvio Danailov: “With Chessdom we have commercial agreement signed. Susan Polgar and Sergey Shipov I respect very much. Both are excellent professionals, doing a lot for chess, making it more popular. They are not commercial and don’t resell the games. Having in mind all this, they had our permission.

With ICC I have long collaboration with mutual interest for both sides. But I explained [them] already before that this is the last time; next time they should paid like everybody else.”
I was just thinking about it today after what happened with R4 and someone mentioned CB should make a legal case. It then came to me that during the WC, website hosting the match had on there that their rights were being violated by Chessbase who was broadcasting the Live Match without permission. They may not have a case, although we are dealing with a unique circumstance. Unlike Football where visual is the attraction, moves in chess are what makes the game. By broadcasting the Matches Live, Chessbase, the organizers could claim deprived their site of traffic which could have generated revenue.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

kingliveson wrote:
AdminX wrote:"The Bulgarian organizers of the Anand-Topalov World Championship match take Chessbase to court for “violating copyright rules”. Chessbase transmitted the moves of the match live on their Playchess server, against the will of the Bulgarians."

I was just thinking about it today after what happened with R4 and someone mentioned CB should make a legal case. It then came to me that during the WC, website hosting the match had on there that their rights were being violated by Chessbase who was broadcasting the Live Match without permission. They may not have a case, although we are dealing with a unique circumstance. Unlike Football where visual is the attraction, moves in chess is what makes the game. By broadcasting the Matches Live, Chessbase, the organizers could claim deprived their site of traffic which could have generated revenue.
Perhaps they could make the case, but I doubt they would be successful. It has been argued many times before that the games belong to the players, and thus should not be published with impunity by whoever wants to. It has been argued many times before that the games belong to the organizers, and thus should not be published with impunity by whoever wants to. Those arguments, for better or worse (probably for worse), have never been successful in anyway, and people still take and use chess games however they want, whenever they want, with no compensation for organizers or players. I doubt that it makes much legal difference if the delay in publication is months, days, minutes, or seconds.

-Sam
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

BubbaTough wrote:
kingliveson wrote:

I was just thinking about it today after what happened with R4 and someone mentioned CB should make a legal case. It then came to me that during the WC, website hosting the match had on there that their rights were being violated by Chessbase who was broadcasting the Live Match without permission. They may not have a case, although we are dealing with a unique circumstance. Unlike Football where visual is the attraction, moves in chess is what makes the game. By broadcasting the Matches Live, Chessbase, the organizers could claim deprived their site of traffic which could have generated revenue.
Perhaps they could make the case, but I doubt they would be successful. It has been argued many times before that the games belong to the players, and thus should not be published with impunity by whoever wants to. It has been argued many times before that the games belong to the organizers, and thus should not be published with impunity by whoever wants to. Those arguments, for better or worse (probably for worse), have never been successful in anyway, and people still take and use chess games however they want, whenever they want, with no compensation for organizers or players. I doubt that it makes much legal difference if the delay in publication is months, days, minutes, or seconds.

-Sam
You make a good point. I think you just settled the case. :D
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Good, I was bored.

Seriously, the Topa team are ridiculously sore losers. This is crazy. BTW, CB will make total fools of these guys. CB simply has enough $$$ to afford a better lawyer.

Oh, and Sam, that's a REALLY good point.

Peter
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Post by Father »

June 3, 2010 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chessbase is the best place of chess in the Earth and Mister. Anand the fastest human being in Earth and the best one now, he is an inspiration for many people, I remember seeing his games like a new spirit of the great Jose Raul Capablanca.!!! Please don’t attack to chessbase. It is not good for the chess.

With best respect,
Father
Pablo I RESTREPO
Playchess.com user
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.