Daydreamer 1.7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Martin Thoresen

Re: Daydreamer 1.7

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Aaron,

I will start the tests really soon!

However, H.G. Muller wrote this in the Baffling Position thread:
t is definitely true that some of Stockfish' exquisitly tuned algorithms must badly backfire in this unusual position. I tried a few other engines now, and most handle it much better than Stockfish does. Especially Daydreamer seems to be quite strong with the Queens.Problem is that it loses about half the games on time, at 40/2, and I don't like to go to sudden-death TC to avoid that, because there play tends to speed-up at the end. And these games are then in a phase that is very sensitive to tactical blunders from either side (there is always very deep tactics), and it becomes more a lottery than enything else.
Martin Thoresen

Aaron,

My tests have concluded with this:

There is definitely something with the Gaviota tablebases. If I completely
disable them there are no losses on time. I tried changing "Endgame database thread pool size" from 2 to 1 and this seemed to help though.

Not sure what else I can do, except this version seems a bit "fishy" if you know what I mean.

Certainly no offence intended Aaron, I am extremely impressed by your engine.

So the above setting will stay on "1" during my next tournament. Hope it's ok by you.

Best Regards,
Martin
Aaron Becker

Post by Aaron Becker »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Aaron,

My tests have concluded with this:

There is definitely something with the Gaviota tablebases. If I completely
disable them there are no losses on time. I tried changing "Endgame database thread pool size" from 2 to 1 and this seemed to help though.

Not sure what else I can do, except this version seems a bit "fishy" if you know what I mean.

Certainly no offence intended Aaron, I am extremely impressed by your engine.

So the above setting will stay on "1" during my next tournament. Hope it's ok by you.

Best Regards,
Martin
No offense taken, of course. This is the unfortunate result of not doing any of my development on Windows platforms--sometimes platform-specific problems creep in without me noticing. I think I would recommend just turning the tablebases off for your tournament, since their effect on elo is not that large anyway, but of course you should whatever settings you like. I hope to figure this problem out relatively soon and release a completely fish-free version.
Martin Thoresen

Aaron Becker wrote:No offense taken, of course. This is the unfortunate result of not doing any of my development on Windows platforms--sometimes platform-specific problems creep in without me noticing. I think I would recommend just turning the tablebases off for your tournament, since their effect on elo is not that large anyway, but of course you should whatever settings you like. I hope to figure this problem out relatively soon and release a completely fish-free version.
Thanks.

I will see how it goes in the first game Daydreamer plays in the tournament, if it loses on time I will replay the game without tablebases enabled.

If it doesn't lose on time, well then all is well and I'll continue with the settings mentioned above. :)

Best Regards,
Martin
Le Fou numerique

Post by Le Fou numerique »

Hi,

Since yesterday, Avast take Daydreamer 1.7.exe in quarantine : Win32:mMalware-gen.

I had no problem to make the first tournament for the UEL, 4 days ago.

Regards,
Patrick
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Le Fou numerique wrote:Hi,

Since yesterday, Avast take Daydreamer 1.7.exe in quarantine : Win32:mMalware-gen.

I had no problem to make the first tournament for the UEL, 4 days ago.

Regards,
Patrick
I have Avast Professional running at my comp and no such problem has been spotted....
Try to update the virus definition list although I doubt it will help much....and yes,get it out of the quarantine box,show it who's the boss :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
swami

Post by swami »

I've been bit busy over the past few days, I'm sorry I wasn't able to find time to test Daydreamer in STS. I will test it today.

It's impressive to see the big gain in elo. Keep up the good work!
Aaron Becker

Post by Aaron Becker »

Thanks for the information about Avast, Patrick. I imagine it's probably because Jim stripped the binaries. I know some virus scanners react badly to that. I'll see if there's an easy fix to the problem. I should also say thanks for your engine league--it's helped me find free uci opponents in the right strength range for my testing.

I'm also looking forward to see what your tests show, Swami. Just to let you know, I'm planning to release a small update some time in the next week that should clear up some problems in my Gaviota tablebase handling and fix a bug that I found in pawn evaluation. The difference in Elo should be small, though.
MirceaH

Post by MirceaH »

Hi,

Same problem seen by Symantec Endpoint protection: Backdoor.Sdbot.

Cleaned by deletion.

Usually Jim's compiles are ok for Symantec, so that may be a real virus.

Regards,
Mircea
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

MirceaH wrote:Hi,

Same problem seen by Symantec Endpoint protection: Backdoor.Sdbot.

Cleaned by deletion.

Usually Jim's compiles are ok for Symantec, so that may be a real virus.

Regards,
Mircea
There is no virus/trojan inside. Executable is compressed with Pespin exe compressor > http://pespin.w.interia.pl/
which causes this detection in some antivirus because virus writers must also use this exe compressor too.
I usually use UPX compressor which causes no problems. Won't use Pespin again.
The reason I use an exe packer is because my 32 bit compiles (particularly Intel compiles always get false positives from some
Antivirus and compressing them with UPX removes these warnings. Using Pespin just makes matters worse obviously.

Here is the virustotal scan with Pespin compressed exe>
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/abf5 ... 1269263907

Here is the virustotal scan with uncompressed compile.
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/2e1b ... 1269679964

You'll notice Symantec & Mcafee still give a warning - this is which untouched GCC compile!! - Stupid or what!

Sorry can't do anything about that.

I've sent new 32 bit binary to Aaron and updated my download link. get it here >
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/daydreamer-17-ja.zip

Jim.