New engine: Ippolit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: New engine: A question

Post by hgm »

SzG wrote:There is an even bigger problem. Lack of definition, or no definition at all, of a clone.
As far as I can remember, in the times when Strelka was discussed, it was not agreed that disassembling constitutes cloning.
Disassembling does not give you anything that behaves in a different way, and is thus a clear example of cloning. I don't see how there can be any doubt about that.

Of course the theoretical possibility exists that by disassembling and recompiling with a better compiler, you would get a program that behaves identical in all respects except that it is faster. This can also happen for open-source code, where some compilation expert can often crank out a significantly better performance than the original author. In cases like this the one responsible for compiling the engine usually gets some credit, usually by suffixing his initials on the filename of the binary. I think there is nothing wrong with that. As long as the one doing the compilation does not claim the work as his own, of course. Disassembling and recompiling is really a similar situation, where you start from a binary rather than from a source code.

Now if you are allowed to do this or not depends on the license under which you obtained the software you were starting from. I suppose that for Rybka 3, it would be a violation of the license agreement. For Rybka 1, it seems it wasn't.
F. Bluemers

Re: New engine: Ippolit/Nice lyrics from wikispaces

Post by F. Bluemers »

The lyrics come from a song out of the past
Fact (Igor): Comrade NelsonHernandez proffers Commissar Trotsky accession to Honorary Comrade
Personal Opinion: Positive: reduce possible conflagration for Stalin: Negative: reduce Lenin stature?
doh :shock:
They seem to like Whittington,must be humour :D
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

oreopoulos wrote:Why do you suspect its a clone? Based on Rating
Can playing strength of a particular level be copyrighted?
For example, each engine stronger 3100 automatically violates Rybka's copyright and must be considered as a clone.

If this is the case, I'd reserve rights for 2400-2500 interval, please :D
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: New engine: Agreed !

Post by Sylwy »

F. Bluemers wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:What evidence are there?

The output in IA , is nothing like Rybka. The size is nothing like rybka, the evals are different. So why do you suspect its a clone? Based on Rating?

The same thing happend with Vas for Rybka.

This is not logical. What proof do you need? The sources? You must be kidding of course.

Ofcourse i do not support cloning of engines, but accusing someone light heartly is bad.
Yes, we accuse Vladimir Ilyich Lenin to be a cloner.

Best
Fonzy

Agreed ! And all the Cominternists also !

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Silvian :lol:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Sylwy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote: How the hell this engine occurred suddenly? :shock:
How did people know about its web page? Lucky guess? :D
It's been around for about six months, but mention of it has been banned from almost everywhere because of the fact that it's an illegal Rybka clone.
Where is the evidence Graham?

Is there a link that shows the evidence?
Here
No

:)

Christopher

TalkChess forum (Capitalist?) suspects IPPOLIT a clone (18 Oct 2009). How so? No evidence, convincing source code here already! Furthermore: IPPOLIT leans +50 ELO beyond of Rybka 3 Chess. So why clone?

Furthermore: Capitalist Intrigues: Rumor: Larry Kaufman (Rybka) asked for IPPOLIT perpetuators, convincing that control (Capitalist) is performing? Ash heaps can not envelop them!

El objetivo principal de la Revolución Octubre es por someter a los impulsos del capitalismo en el mundossimo del ajedrez, particularmente ajedrez con las computadoras.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're really something else! You should be banned.
Why ?
Isn't my work !
I haven't posted the link !
Too much nervousness here !
And.......the lyrics seems amusing to me !
Silvian
:lol:

PS: what is the problem with Christianity in Holocaust ? I don't understand your text !
You don't seem to understand much.
Terry McCracken
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

oreopoulos wrote:What evidence are there?

The output in IA , is nothing like Rybka. The size is nothing like rybka, the evals are different. So why do you suspect its a clone? Based on Rating?

The same thing happend with Vas for Rybka.

This is not logical. What proof do you need? The sources? You must be kidding of course.

Ofcourse i do not support cloning of engines, but accusing someone light heartly is bad.
The whole Ippolit website looks like a joke. The Google translation of Russian, the rambling communist propaganda. Not something I would expect from a serious author of a strong Chess engine. Why use an obvious pseudonym? Did Vas do any of that when he released the first strong Rybka version?
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: New engine: Grave

Post by Sylwy »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
It's been around for about six months, but mention of it has been banned from almost everywhere because of the fact that it's an illegal Rybka clone.

Here
No

Christopher

TalkChess forum (Capitalist?) suspects IPPOLIT a clone (18 Oct 2009). How so? No evidence, convincing source code here already! Furthermore: IPPOLIT leans +50 ELO beyond of Rybka 3 Chess. So why clone?

Furthermore: Capitalist Intrigues: Rumor: Larry Kaufman (Rybka) asked for IPPOLIT perpetuators, convincing that control (Capitalist) is performing? Ash heaps can not envelop them!

El objetivo principal de la Revolución Octubre es por someter a los impulsos del capitalismo en el mundossimo del ajedrez, particularmente ajedrez con las computadoras.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why ?
Isn't my work !
Silvian

PS: what is the problem with Christianity in Holocaust ? I don't understand your text !
Deh !
Was God decision........much,much,much..........years ago !
Thank you !
Not everybody can reach your level !

Silvian

PS:you must be banned also for insult me withouth any reasom.Also...you haven't the humour sense ! Grave
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: New engine: Ippolit

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Graham Banks wrote: I've come under a fair bit of heat from some for testing legal GPL derivatives, but I draw the line at illegal clones like Ippolit and Strelka.
GPL derivatives are cool as long as the GPL is followed, the author is clearly identified, and the distribution always happens with source. Unfortunately that is not the case in quite a few situations.

But something like Stockfish is really cool and the results speak for themselves.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: New engine: Ippolit

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

SzG wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: - Rybka 4 will probably appear with some insane copy-protection system instead of none at all in Rybka 3.
Does copy-protection prevent disassembling?
No, but it might increase the lead time for the original author, if you get what I mean.
Terry McCracken

Re: New engine: Grave

Post by Terry McCracken »

Sylwy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Here
No

Christopher

Why ?
Isn't my work !
Silvian

Deh !
Was God decision........much,much,much..........years ago !
Thank you !
Not everybody can reach your level !

Silvian

PS:you must be banned also for insult me withouth any reasom.Also...you haven't the humour sense ! Grave
Get the fuc k out of here!
Terry McCracken