New engine: Ippolit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: New engine: A question

Post by Terry McCracken »

Sylwy wrote:Hi all !

I'm not a professional programmer !
Ipollit .exe has only 286.720 bytes- Rybka 3 has much,much more !
In my overnight test ( 100 games) in blitz (4'+2") Ipollit performed better than Rybka 3 !
Let me know -please- a short explanation !
They are a lot of commercial chess engines .Nobody claimed to be clones. Nobody has access to their source codes.The lack of access is a chastity certificate ? Some progressed very slowly along the years with a suspect progress after Rybka's ascension. Maybe the original code has nothing to do with the ultimate release of these engines ! Nobody ask nothing ! Of course was a long scandal with Rybka ......but without any reasonable proof.
To be a commercial chess engine means an honesty status ?
To be on disgrace of someone ( :lol: ) on this site is enough that your engine to be considered a clone ?
Rybka itself was a shock for some considered oneself intelligent people !
Naum was another shock !
The first two chess engines in our world were disputed a lot !
The link to Ipollite was deleted. Ok ! Maybe is a clone ! The proofs please !

Regards,
Silvian
The people involved with cloninig violations of Rybka 3 should be charged and brought before the courts!

I don't know if this can be done but this must stop!

It's a crime, a serious crime committed by talentless criminals who have no scruples or conscience.

I hope all involved in the creation of Ippolit stand before the courts and get what they deserve!

All you supporters of this crime can go to hell.
Terry McCracken
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: New engine: Ippolit/Nice lyrics from wikispaces

Post by Sylwy »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
George Tsavdaris wrote: How the hell this engine occurred suddenly? :shock:
How did people know about its web page? Lucky guess? :D
It's been around for about six months, but mention of it has been banned from almost everywhere because of the fact that it's an illegal Rybka clone.
Where is the evidence Graham?

Is there a link that shows the evidence?
Here
No

:)

Christopher

TalkChess forum (Capitalist?) suspects IPPOLIT a clone (18 Oct 2009). How so? No evidence, convincing source code here already! Furthermore: IPPOLIT leans +50 ELO beyond of Rybka 3 Chess. So why clone?

Furthermore: Capitalist Intrigues: Rumor: Larry Kaufman (Rybka) asked for IPPOLIT perpetuators, convincing that control (Capitalist) is performing? Ash heaps can not envelop them!

El objetivo principal de la Revolución Octubre es por someter a los impulsos del capitalismo en el mundossimo del ajedrez, particularmente ajedrez con las computadoras.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:

In my overnight test ( 100 games) in blitz (4'+2") Ipollit performed better than Rybka 3 !
They are a lot of commercial chess engines .Nobody claimed to be clones. Nobody has access to their source codes.The lack of access is a chastity certificate ? Some progressed very slowly along the years with a suspect progress after Rybka's ascension. Maybe the original code has nothing to do with the ultimate release of these engines ! Nobody ask nothing ! Of course was a long scandal with Rybka ......but without any reasonable proof.
To be on disgrace of someone ( :lol: ) on this site is enough that your engine to be considered a clone ?
Naum was another shock !

Regards,
Silvian
The people involved with cloninig violations of Rybka 3 should be charged and brought before the courts!

It's a crime, a serious crime committed by talentless criminals who have no scruples or conscience.

I hope all involved in the creation of Ippolit stand before the courts and get what they deserve!

The problem is that they are talented Terry 8-)
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I guess any code can be disassembled if enough time and resources are spent on the task. But you reach a point where all those resources and time could have been more productive by using it in producing an original product instead of stealing someone else's work.

Anyway I think Rybka 4 is almost out, and this will be another "Strelka" type affair. The reason that this new program has less code than Rybka 3 is probably because Rybka 3 has large static tables which it uses. Those tables I guess are not critical for the program to play chess, although they are bound to help IMHO. Also Rybka 3 could have some masking or other information not related to how the engine performs, but more related to identifying bugs in an easily understood structure.

Rybka 3 has a few bugs which are well documented and very easy to fix once you have the sources and you know a little about programming. It is well known that the engine initialization is not done properly for most GUI's. Also Rybka 3 has a non neutral contempt factor, if that is changed to neutral and you play against another Rybka 3 with identical hardware you will find that the neutral Rybka 3 will perform with a higher ELO. The contempt was designed to take advantage of stronger hardware or weaker opponents and will backfire if that is not the case.

I really doubt that this new program is stronger than Rybka 3, most likely it is some of the factors mentioned above giving that illusion. Ofcourse you will always have some people who enjoy stealing other people's work to show that they got more than the original, but fact and fiction are usually not the same. All chess engine enthusiasts who want the strongest possible chess engine will lose out in the end. Most likely Vas will come up with some intrusive protection scheme for Rybka 4 that is bound to take a performance hit.
Last edited by M ANSARI on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McCracken

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Naum was another shock !

Regards,
Silvian

Dr.D
Yeah, by stealing someone's work and speeding up the search...real talent..unless you mean they've talent to stay out of jail!
Terry McCracken
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Naum was another shock !

Regards,
Silvian

Dr.D
I totally agree and it is not only about changing rybka's code to cause it to play better(assuming that the claims that I read are correct).

I have no idea how to get the C code of a chess engine out of the exe file.
step by step instruction how to do it(not for rybka but for free source chess programs when it is not illegal may be interesting).

Can somebody create the C source code of Crafty or Stockfish based only on the exe file without looking at the code?

Edit:No need to have exactly the same code but need to be Crafty clone or stockfish clone(and needs to be at least at similiar strength).

I think that it is legal assuming that the person does not hide what he did,release the source
and does not claim that he generated an original engine.

Uri
Last edited by Uri Blass on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McCracken

Sylwy wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
It's been around for about six months, but mention of it has been banned from almost everywhere because of the fact that it's an illegal Rybka clone.

Here
No

Christopher

TalkChess forum (Capitalist?) suspects IPPOLIT a clone (18 Oct 2009). How so? No evidence, convincing source code here already! Furthermore: IPPOLIT leans +50 ELO beyond of Rybka 3 Chess. So why clone?

Furthermore: Capitalist Intrigues: Rumor: Larry Kaufman (Rybka) asked for IPPOLIT perpetuators, convincing that control (Capitalist) is performing? Ash heaps can not envelop them!

El objetivo principal de la Revolución Octubre es por someter a los impulsos del capitalismo en el mundossimo del ajedrez, particularmente ajedrez con las computadoras.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're really something else! You should be banned.
Terry McCracken
oreopoulos

Post by oreopoulos »

What evidence are there?

The output in IA , is nothing like Rybka. The size is nothing like rybka, the evals are different. So why do you suspect its a clone? Based on Rating?

The same thing happend with Vas for Rybka.

This is not logical. What proof do you need? The sources? You must be kidding of course.

Ofcourse i do not support cloning of engines, but accusing someone light heartly is bad.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

oreopoulos wrote:What evidence are there?

The output in IA , is nothing like Rybka. The size is nothing like rybka, the evals are different. So why do you suspect its a clone? Based on Rating?

The same thing happend with Vas for Rybka.

This is not logical. What proof do you need? The sources? You must be kidding of course.

Ofcourse i do not support cloning of engines, but accusing someone light heartly is bad.
Yes, we accuse Vladimir Ilyich Lenin to be a cloner.

Best
Fonzy
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Anton wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Here
No

Christopher

You're really something else! You should be banned.
Why ?
Isn't my work !
I haven't posted the link !
Too much nervousness here !
And.......the lyrics seems amusing to me !
Silvian
:lol:

PS: what is the problem with Christianity in Holocaust ? I don't understand your text !