Onno 1.0 is now available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Re: Onno 1.0 is now available

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

A note on Onno's credits site. Tord Romstad has not invented magic bitboards or either magic multiplication. The inventor was Lasse Hansen, while Pradu Kannan came up with individual sized tables for each square. For further references see Magic Bitboards from cpw.

Thanks,
Gerd
Onno Garms

Post by Onno Garms »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:Tord Romstad has not invented magic bitboards or either magic multiplication. The inventor was Lasse Hansen, while Pradu Kannan came up with individual sized tables for each square.
Corrected. Thank you for pointing out.

I am not planning to scan all internet fora for comments on Onno, so better email me if you find a problem.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Onno Garms wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:Tord Romstad has not invented magic bitboards or either magic multiplication. The inventor was Lasse Hansen, while Pradu Kannan came up with individual sized tables for each square.
Corrected. Thank you for pointing out.

I am not planning to scan all internet fora for comments on Onno, so better email me if you find a problem.
Thanks. Since your site is public, I thought a public statement here was appropriate. Still, credits for magic bitboards exclusively to Lasse and Pradu. I was somehow involved in the development with separate lines, but never thought mapping up to twelve occupied bits would work due to huge memory, until the both guys proved me wrong - specially with Java like arrays. Tord later did his own implementation with respect to find own magics by trying randoms.

Curious about the upcoming event from the Tilburg centre for Creative Computing, the Promotion of Dhr. F.M.H. Reul with the thesis: "New Architectures in Computer Chess", supervised by Prof.dr. H.J. van den Herik and Dr.ir. J.H.W.M. Uiterwijk, which apparently covers magic bitboards.

Cheers,
Gerd
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Regards, Mike
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

mike, you give a link that related onno with toga, right ?

do you want to say that onno is a toga clone ?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mclane wrote:mike, you give a link that related onno with toga, right ?

Again :shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Yes, well, exactly, not again :( .

Just a few points to the defence of Onno, I'm sure that there are better points:

♣ Main point, I think these kind of evaluation difference lists are of very little value to detect cloning. Because it is much too easy to manipulate the evaluation output for values not close to zero, if your intention is to obfuscate things. So any engine that seems to have tuned itself to another strong engine and shows similar outputs to this engine, I would rather trust not to have a manipulated output than suspect it is a clone.

♣ Onno is a bitboard engine so that is already a big difference compared to Toga.

♣ It has been under development for several years.

♣ It is however not multi-CPU capable, unlike Toga

♣ Onno 1.0 does according to Onno Garms not compile to faster .exes with the Intel compiler compared with MVSC, much unlike Toga

This does not scream Toga clone warnings to me...

Regards, Eelco
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Yes, well, exactly, not again :( .

Just a few points to the defence of Onno, I'm sure that there are better points:

♣ Main point, I think these kind of evaluation difference lists are of very little value to detect cloning. Because it is much too easy to manipulate the evaluation output for values not close to zero, if your intention is to obfuscate things. So any engine that seems to have tuned itself to another strong engine and shows similar outputs to this engine, I would rather trust not to have a manipulated output than suspect it is a clone.

♣ Onno is a bitboard engine so that is already a big difference compared to Toga.

♣ It has been under development for several years.

♣ It is however not multi-CPU capable, unlike Toga

♣ Onno 1.0 does according to Onno Garms not compile to faster .exes with the Intel compiler compared with MVSC, much unlike Toga

This does not scream Toga clone warnings to me...

Regards, Eelco
Thanks Eelco for your thoughts....much appreciated :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Yes, well, exactly, not again :( .
I am confidant that Onno is not a clone.
Eelco de Groot wrote: Just a few points to the defence of Onno, I'm sure that there are better points:

I agree
Eelco de Groot wrote: ♣ Onno is a bitboard engine so that is already a big difference compared to Toga.
Trivial conversion that takes a matter of hours.
Eelco de Groot wrote: ♣ It has been under development for several years.
Yes he has posted on well known forums for some time now.
Eelco de Groot wrote: ♣ It is however not multi-CPU capable, unlike Toga
Someone would not sell an engine and call it SMP with the SMP Toga has. It is ok for Toga because people have the freedom to see what the code is and choose to accept it for what it is. It would not be a commercially acceptable solution though.
Eelco de Groot wrote: ♣ Onno 1.0 does according to Onno Garms not compile to faster .exes with the Intel compiler compared with MVSC, much unlike Toga
Fruit also is not faster with Intel compiler. I don't know much about windows compilers though so it does not mean much to me.
Eelco de Groot wrote: This does not scream Toga clone warnings to me...
I agree, if it was a clone people would have come of with much more convincing evidence by now.
I see it as a promising engine in an otherwise stale field that could make some great gains over the years. Computer chess needs engines like Onno to come along.