check extensions.

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Re: check extensions.

Post by Edsel Apostol »

I agree with Dr. Hyatt's principle here. Try to make it as simple as possible. The only extension I have in Twisted Logic in non pv nodes is check extension and additional recapture extension and pawn push on 7th rank in the pv nodes.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Edsel Apostol wrote:I agree with Dr. Hyatt's principle here. Try to make it as simple as possible. The only extension I have in Twisted Logic in non pv nodes is check extension and additional recapture extension and pawn push on 7th rank in the pv nodes.
I have an affinity for keeping around junk. If I can't prove it hurts me, I keep it. A glance in my garage shows this attitude is not limited to chess programming :(. Having the junk left in my program is bad of course because it adds confusion and complexity. On the other hand:

a) it reminds me of some chess concept I need my program it know (at some later date when I figure out how to get it working better).
b) it is not hurting my program strength.
c) it annoys me less (watching my program do dumb things that I know how to address, even if not well, is annoying).
d) it adds more "character" to my program.

-Sam
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

It depends really on individual preferences. I personally prefer simplicity and I like my code to look clean.

I even removed KBKP knowledge and other endgame related knowledge from the eval as I feel that the strength increase based on these knowledge is not enough to offset the complexity of the code.