Score from white side or from playing side?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Luis Babboni

Score from white side or from playing side?

Post by Luis Babboni »

Hi people!

Actually my engine build score always from white side regardless the side the engine is playing and I think most of the engines build score from the side the engine is playing.

Could this makes any compatibility problem with Xboard or some GUI or just could give me some more complications to programming?

Thanks!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Score from white side or from playing side?

Post by hgm »

De-facto standard in WB protocol is to print scores from side-to-move POV. If you do it otherwise some adjudication options based on engine scores will not work, and the Eval Graph in WinBoard will look funny.
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

hgm wrote:De-facto standard in WB protocol is to print scores from side-to-move POV. If you do it otherwise some adjudication options based on engine scores will not work, and the Eval Graph in WinBoard will look funny.
Could I solve it easy just changing the sign when corresponding in showthinking?
Or not show thinking at all?
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

Luis Babboni wrote:
hgm wrote:De-facto standard in WB protocol is to print scores from side-to-move POV. If you do it otherwise some adjudication options based on engine scores will not work, and the Eval Graph in WinBoard will look funny.
Could I solve it easy just changing the sign when corresponding in showthinking?
Yes, this is a good way to handle a lot of things in programs: Use whatever internal representation is most natural to the way you are writing your program, and convert to whatever format is expected of the program right at the time when you output the value.
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Thanks Álvaro and HG! :D