Around Crafty dev. ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Around Crafty dev. ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Bob,

I tested both current versions, compiled by Dann and compiled by Jim. On my i7 4th and 5th gen. machines a bit better results the work Dann do.

I am reading in the last months on different positions that a newer version is still in development. OK, Crafty is all the time ... more as 30 years still in development.

But I am very interested and have to asked for the release date. Around 80 ELO for a place in TOP-25!

If I am looking in the results I have in detail the style is a complete other (stubborn or wayward ... the right words I think) in comparing to other TOP-50 engines. Each time I am looking I saw that Crafty have bigger troubles in king safety after opening book moves. Lost a lot of games very fast. I am sure that this point is on the ToDo list?!

Bob, I wrote that last year ...
In endgames with queen or rooks and pawns it seems that the strength drops in comparing to endgames with pawns and bishops / knights. In endgames with with pawns and bishops / knights the strenght is much higher and here Crafty is not easy to beat for clearly stronger engines. A very strong point your engine have ... in my humble opinion.

Any ideas for that reasons?
Maybe a point for improvements ... queen / rooks endgames?!

On the other hand I am happy with the style of Crafty ... its realy an own and such things are very important for a Rating list and of course for self playing.

Good luck with the new version!
I wish me a fast release ... maybe in October?
For September I have enough to do in testing engines :-)

Best
Frank

PS: OK Crafty lost many games very fast but also clear is that Crafty can win in the current version also many games very fast. The right way and Crafty is playing now much more interesting chess since the last available version. So the last improvements are very good.
Dann Corbit

Re: Around Crafty dev. ...

Post by Dann Corbit »

The next crafty will be quite a bit stronger.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
bob

Post by bob »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Bob,

I tested both current versions, compiled by Dann and compiled by Jim. On my i7 4th and 5th gen. machines a bit better results the work Dann do.

I am reading in the last months on different positions that a newer version is still in development. OK, Crafty is all the time ... more as 30 years still in development.

But I am very interested and have to asked for the release date. Around 80 ELO for a place in TOP-25!

If I am looking in the results I have in detail the style is a complete other (stubborn or wayward ... the right words I think) in comparing to other TOP-50 engines. Each time I am looking I saw that Crafty have bigger troubles in king safety after opening book moves. Lost a lot of games very fast. I am sure that this point is on the ToDo list?!

Bob, I wrote that last year ...
In endgames with queen or rooks and pawns it seems that the strength drops in comparing to endgames with pawns and bishops / knights. In endgames with with pawns and bishops / knights the strenght is much higher and here Crafty is not easy to beat for clearly stronger engines. A very strong point your engine have ... in my humble opinion.

Any ideas for that reasons?
Maybe a point for improvements ... queen / rooks endgames?!

On the other hand I am happy with the style of Crafty ... its realy an own and such things are very important for a Rating list and of course for self playing.

Good luck with the new version!
I wish me a fast release ... maybe in October?
For September I have enough to do in testing engines :-)

Best
Frank

PS: OK Crafty lost many games very fast but also clear is that Crafty can win in the current version also many games very fast. The right way and Crafty is playing now much more interesting chess since the last available version. So the last improvements are very good.
Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired. We will probably release 25.1 pretty soon...
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

bob wrote: Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired. We will probably release 25.1 pretty soon...
I see your Crafty hosting with UAB no longer exists. Is there an alternate location for all those historical versions of Crafty?

Congratulations on a long career, and I hope you enjoy your retirement.
bob

Post by bob »

tmokonen wrote:
bob wrote: Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired. We will probably release 25.1 pretty soon...
I see your Crafty hosting with UAB no longer exists. Is there an alternate location for all those historical versions of Crafty?

Now that I have all retirement details worked out, I will look into setting up the same web page elsewhere, I saved everything.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

bob wrote:
Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired. We will probably release 25.1 pretty soon...
Congratulations on your long and distinguished career at UAB - here's to you making your retirement just as long and distinguished! Wish you all the best. I'm a little bit behind you , but not by much as far as retirement goes. A few more years to go.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

bob wrote:
tmokonen wrote:

Now that I have all retirement details worked out, I will look into setting up the same web page elsewhere, I saved everything.
Congratulations on your fantastic career, Bob! You should write a book about it!
Just out curiosity: are you planning to continue your work on Crafty or you have other projects in your head?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote: Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired.
Congrats and welcome to the club.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

bob wrote:Today was my last official day at UAB. I am now officially retired. We will probably release 25.1 pretty soon...
Congratulations on your retirement. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Congrats Bob!!

@Ed:
A mad club!
I know it becaue I am a member too.