Random playout vs evaluation

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Pope

Random playout vs evaluation

Post by Robert Pope »

SJE's posts got me thinking.

How strong a correlation there would be between a monte carlo playout of a position vs. a traditional search? It seems that monte carlo would perform poorly when there is a narrow forced win. But perhaps the reverse is true, and random playout could identify positions where an engine's evaluation has a blind spot.

Has anyone done anything like that?
Dann Corbit

Re: Random playout vs evaluation

Post by Dann Corbit »

Monte Carlo search is used all the time in go.
I don't know if anyone has tried it in chess.
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... ree+Search

Here is a github monte carlo tree search:
https://github.com/lteacy/mcts-cpp
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

I don't expect Monte-Carlo simulations would work very well in chess. Certainly not when giving every move the same probability ("light playouts", in MCTS lingo).

If you write something a bit smarter, so you don't drop pieces for no reason, perhaps you get some reasonable results. I would be curious to see a MCTS chess engine that uses depth-1 search during the playouts.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

AlvaroBegue wrote:I don't expect Monte-Carlo simulations would work very well in chess. Certainly not when giving every move the same probability ("light playouts", in MCTS lingo).

If you write something a bit smarter, so you don't drop pieces for no reason, perhaps you get some reasonable results. I would be curious to see a MCTS chess engine that uses depth-1 search during the playouts.
I tried this a while ago for chess and it sucked. MCTS works awesomely for checkers though because there captures are forced unlike in chess. And that seems to make a big difference more than anything else to the accuracy of the random playout. Nebiyu has MCTS mode for playing many types of games if anyone is interested.
flok

Post by flok »

I tried it once, in a distributed version (+/- 120 computers).
Failed :-)