Draughts at the ICGA Olympiad

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Xann

Re: Draughts at the ICGA Olympiad

Post by Xann »

Hi HGM,
hgm wrote:Draughts is pretty popular this year, at the Olympiad. So far 12 programs registered. Of course this is to be expected when it takes place in the Netherlands.

When I was Scanning the tentative participants list, one name surprised me, and would probably surprise anyone on this forum. (Moderately? :wink:)
Yes, I'll be participating in 10x10 draughts. I went to a few tournaments in 1999-2000 after stopping Othello in 1998. I have fond memories of them, and am glad I am going to meet the Dutch programmers again (most of them are still active). At the same time I know very little about the game past the rules, and this makes the games more difficult to follow/enjoy.

To further explain your puns for the sake of others, the program for this year is called "Scan". It tries to evaluate the board by dividing it into 2D "regions" and recognising small shapes that occured in self-play games. I think of it as similar to what the retina is doing, although I don't actually know.

Fabien.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Xann wrote:
Yes, I'll be participating in 10x10 draughts. I went to a few tournaments in 1999-2000 after stopping Othello in 1998. I have fond memories of them, and am glad I am going to meet the Dutch programmers again (most of them are still active). At the same time I know very little about the game past the rules, and this makes the games more difficult to follow/enjoy.

To further explain your puns for the sake of others, the program for this year is called "Scan". It tries to evaluate the board by dividing it into 2D "regions" and recognising small shapes that occured in self-play games. I think of it as similar to what the retina is doing, although I don't actually know.

Fabien.
Look forward to meeting you in Leiden!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Likewise!
IWB

Post by IWB »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Look forward to meeting you in Leiden!
Anything you will operate or especialy looking for which I cant find in the list ... yet?

Regards
Ingo
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

IWB wrote:
Anything you will operate or especialy looking for which I cant find in the list ... yet?

Regards
Ingo
Hi Ingo,

I see we will finally meet also :) Hiarcs has entered. I think the entry was sent only yesterday.

Best Wishes,
Harvey
IWB

Post by IWB »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
IWB wrote:

Regards
Ingo
Hi Ingo,

I see we will finally meet also :) Hiarcs has entered. I think the entry was sent only yesterday.

Best Wishes,
Harvey
Ahh finaly! :-)

Looking forward to it and I realy hope that there are some others who think about it ...

Bye
Ingo
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

I'm entering Maverick in the chess event. I have zero chance of doing well but I'm certainly looking forward to meeting everyone in person,

Currently I think there are seven participants in the chess event. Can I persuade anyone else to enter?

- Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Henk

Post by Henk »

Euro/Dollar = 1.12 has been about 1.06 recently but two years ago it was about 1.38 but in 2008 it was 1.56
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Steve Maughan wrote:Currently I think there are seven participants in the chess event. Can I persuade anyone else to enter?
The problem is that the event is fllled for 200% with Chess, so that when you participate in the Chess, you would have to do all other games in parallel. I tried this once, in Pamplona, where the only other game I did was Xiangqi, and it was not an experience I want to repeat.

So this time I only registered for Xiangqi, Shogi, mini-Shogi, Tori Shogi and Chu Shogi. The latter one probably will be cancelled for lack of opponents. Surprisingly regular Shogi so far also has only me as participants, but in 2012 there were some last-minute show-ups of Japanese conference attendants, so I still have hope.
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:Currently I think there are seven participants in the chess event. Can I persuade anyone else to enter?
The problem is that the event is fllled for 200% with Chess, so that when you participate in the Chess, you would have to do all other games in parallel. I tried this once, in Pamplona, where the only other game I did was Xiangqi, and it was not an experience I want to repeat.

So this time I only registered for Xiangqi, Shogi, mini-Shogi, Tori Shogi and Chu Shogi. The latter one probably will be cancelled for lack of opponents. Surprisingly regular Shogi so far also has only me as participants, but in 2012 there were some last-minute show-ups of Japanese conference attendants, so I still have hope.
I registered for those (apart from Chu) as well, but I didn't receive any sort of confirmation that my registration came through. Do I need to bug someone about that, or is it normal?