SMP questions

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Patrice Duhamel
Full name: Patrice Duhamel

SMP questions

Post by Patrice Duhamel »

I start reading documents on YBWC.

If I understand, we can "split" the search at any node after the search of the first move, then all waiting threads (including the current thread) will search remaining moves at this node in parallel ?

This means only the thread that split can ask other threads to search moves at this node, or later other threads will be able to help at this node ?

The search can split in any thread ?

How many threads to create, ex: for 4 threads (4 core), should I create 3 new threads, or create 4 threads searching while the program main thread is waiting for inputs ?
jdart

Re: SMP questions

Post by jdart »

As I understand it, the master thread allocates one or more other threads to search in parallel. Later other threads will not join this split point but could be allocated to search other split points that are below it in the tree.

Re how many threads to allocate, the main thread counts so you would allocate 3 more if you have 4 available total.

-Jon
bob

Post by bob »

Patrice Duhamel wrote:I start reading documents on YBWC.

If I understand, we can "split" the search at any node after the search of the first move, then all waiting threads (including the current thread) will search remaining moves at this node in parallel ?

This means only the thread that split can ask other threads to search moves at this node, or later other threads will be able to help at this node ?

The search can split in any thread ?

How many threads to create, ex: for 4 threads (4 core), should I create 3 new threads, or create 4 threads searching while the program main thread is waiting for inputs ?
Couple of quibbles.

1. You can split at any move after the first. If you search the first, then you can split. If you search the first two, you can split. Just not before the first was searched, because you need a good set of bounds before starting the parallel search to make the search more efficient.

2. Create as many threads as you want, just so that no more than N of them are busy at any instant in time where N = actual number of cores you have available. I simply create N-1 (the first one also searches). Some dedicate one to handling input. Some create many but just pick N to execute (this simplifies recursive call stack issues a bit but adds to overhead somewhat.)
Patrice Duhamel

Thanks for all the answers.

And if the thread that create a splitpoint finish searching moves before the other threads at this node, it could search for other splitpoints ? or there are some conditions where it should wait the other threads ?
bob

Post by bob »

Patrice Duhamel wrote:Thanks for all the answers.

And if the thread that create a splitpoint finish searching moves before the other threads at this node, it could search for other splitpoints ? or there are some conditions where it should wait the other threads ?
I try to avoid all waiting. If the thread that creates a split point finishes, it goes and helps other threads.

I can't imagine any place where it would choose to wait rather than searching, unless there is simply no work left somehow.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Patrice Duhamel wrote:
The thread that initiates the split can join the search again if it finishes. This is known as the "helpful master" concept. It will only finish if no more moves remain to search at the current split point. In such cases it can assist other threads by searching other split points below the current split point. But it will not join split points that are in some other part of the tree.

--Jon
Patrice Duhamel

Yes, my question was in the case the thread that initiate the split has finish and there are no more moves to search.

I thought that in some cases the other threads searching at this node have "almost finish" and it could be a waste of time to help with the thread that split, but I guess we can't detect it or it's a bad idea ?
jdart

Post by jdart »

The helpful master idea is useful to implement but does not actually help that much, especially with moderate numbers of cores, because the master may not finish first, and even if it does, as you say, the other threads may have relatively little left to do.

That said though, there should not be a large overhead in joining a thread to a split point, so I would go ahead and do it if possible.

--Jon
bob

Post by bob »

jdart wrote:The helpful master idea is useful to implement but does not actually help that much, especially with moderate numbers of cores, because the master may not finish first, and even if it does, as you say, the other threads may have relatively little left to do.

That said though, there should not be a large overhead in joining a thread to a split point, so I would go ahead and do it if possible.

--Jon
It is actually a pretty significant gain. Take the simple case where you split at the root. the master runs out of work and sits. One of the other threads is hung up on a long search because the move it is searching will eventually fail high. Why wouldn't you want the original master to join in and help resolve that fail high before time runs out and you miss it completely.
jdart

Post by jdart »

One of the other threads is hung up on a long search because the move it is searching will eventually fail high. Why wouldn't you want the original master to join in and help resolve that fail high before time runs out and you miss it completely.
Sure, but that is the best case for helpful master. In general the gain is less.

--Jon