WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JoshPettus

Re: WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Post by JoshPettus »

Hi, that's annoying... Perhaps macports got borked when I upgraded to 10.10, as I didn't do a clean install after updating, which I should have. But then you would think a heck of a lot more would be broken then just the gtk2 murrine engine... Plus it works for me, and those libraries were compiled on 10.9.

Anyway, can you tell me if this new compile of the app works?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkvvrqw5aiq3j ... d.zip?dl=0
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

JoshPettus wrote:Hi, that's annoying... Perhaps macports got borked when I upgraded to 10.10, as I didn't do a clean install after updating, which I should have. But then you would think a heck of a lot more would be broken then just the gtk2 murrine engine... Plus it works for me, and those libraries were compiled on 10.9.

Anyway, can you tell me if this new compile of the app works?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkvvrqw5aiq3j ... d.zip?dl=0
Here's a pic from your download.

I just extracted the app to a folder, and double clicked on it to run it.

Then, I selected General Options:

Also, I noticed that the version is still 4.8.0 and the info says created Saturday 18th October 06:41 - was this still the previous version?

Edit: It's great to have XBoard on the Mac, as there is really no other GUI that comes close for engine vs engine, or ICS play. This GUI, coupled with Julien's great work compiling Mac versions of engines is a massive step forward getting CC up and running on Mac OS.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Yah I had recompiled the app from scratch and recompiled evreything on macports To make sure it's not something related there... (had to do so anyway for updating to 10.10) Can you open package contents by right clicking on the app, navigate to /Contents/MacOS and double click "XBoard" not "xboard-bin" this will open up the app with a terminal window, and could you tell me of any errors that pop up?

I must say this really has me beat.

It looks like the theme loads, but for some reason its not finding the .png checkmark icons. Or they don't load.. for the record do you see the scroll bar on the right side of the Engine Output window or Move list?
Richard Allbert

JoshPettus wrote: navigate to /Contents/MacOS and double click "XBoard" not "xboard-bin" this will open up the app with a terminal window, and could you tell me of any errors that pop up?

I must say this really has me beat.
Sure:

I also made a quick video:

http://www.bluefever.net/Grap.mp4
Richard Allbert

Richard Allbert wrote: I also made a quick video:

http://www.bluefever.net/Grab.mp4
URL corrected :)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

hmm... the local error is nothing. Happens when ever you use localization. Not sure how to fix it, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything, plus GIMP has it too.

as for the userSpaceScaleFactor, I have never seen that before. And no idea what library could be using that. My OS is newer then yours and shows me no such error, nor when i had 10.9 last week....

The only library that should be making NS calls is the gtk-mac-integration library. And there is no NSview there. (i did a search on the source) nor would that be related to the theme engine.
Richard Allbert

JoshPettus wrote:hmm... the local error is nothing. Happens when ever you use localization. Not sure how to fix it, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything, plus GIMP has it too.

as for the userSpaceScaleFactor, I have never seen that before. And no idea what library could be using that. My OS is newer then yours and shows me no such error, nor when i had 10.9 last week....

The only library that should be making NS calls is the gtk-mac-integration library. And there is no NSview there. (i did a search on the source) nor would that be related to the theme engine.
:( Ok, thanks anyway. I removed the video.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Ahh thanks for the video
I see in your video.

Code: Select all

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

and

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_hight: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

That would do it! Now how to fix it and why?... I have never seen that before. Whenever I do a test, I change the name of my macports folder, cutting xboard away from those libraries to make sure something like this doesn't happen...

[/code]
Richard Allbert

JoshPettus wrote:Ahh thanks for the video
I see in your video.

Code: Select all

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

and

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_hight: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

[/code]
Do you want me to leave the video up?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

As the code is not non-sensical, I assume that the complaint that 'pixbuf' is not a GDK_PIXBUF is actually because it is nothing at all (i.e. a NULL pointer), which would happen when the load_pixbuf call to read the pixbuf from file failed (for whatever reason).

So there somehow seems to be a problem in locating or accessing a png file.