About Some Elasticity in Moderators

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

About Some Elasticity in Moderators

Post by fern »

I would like to see someone -as candidate to the post of moderator here- capable of announcing as part of his view a degree of flexibility in order NOT to erase post or accept complains about posts because some of them are not entirely chess computer related. Some humor, little histories or anything else should be accepted in a moderate degree in order to give extra life to this site.
Just sheer, pure and chemically 100% chess computer can get somewhat narrow minded.
Besides that, I do not see why a person that does not like anything but chess should be bothered by the presence of something different as much it does not occupy mot of space and nobody is compelled to read everything here.
I hope someone of those characteristics will jump to the arena.

Fern
syzygy

Re: About Some Elasticity in Moderators

Post by syzygy »

Chess Thinkers Forum
A place for chess players to speak about what interests them: chess or otherwise.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
Henk

Post by Henk »

syzygy wrote:Chess Thinkers Forum
A place for chess players to speak about what interests them: chess or otherwise.
Nobody reads Chess Thinkers Forum and some people there are mostly talking about their religion problems.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Henk wrote:
Nobody reads Chess Thinkers Forum and some people there are mostly talking about their religion problems.
Well, that forum is for topics not related to computer chess.
This forum is for topics related to computer chess.

That some people here may not wish to read CTF is no reason to force these people to read off-topic posts here. If they had wanted that, they would have been reading CTF....

This is just basic netiquette imho.
Henk

Post by Henk »

syzygy wrote:
Henk wrote:
Well, that forum is for topics not related to computer chess.
This forum is for topics related to computer chess.

That some people here may not wish to read CTF is no reason to force these people to read off-topic posts here. If they had wanted that, they would have been reading CTF....
The problem with CTF is that you have to login to read the posts. Not convenient and lazy people don't like that.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Henk wrote:The problem with CTF is that you have to login to read the posts. Not convenient and lazy people don't like that.
Laziness is simply not an excuse to bother other people with off-topic posts.

There is a simple check button that you can check that will keep you logged in.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Sam Hull has banned all further censorboard elections! :x
Henk

Post by Henk »

syzygy wrote:
Henk wrote:The problem with CTF is that you have to login to read the posts. Not convenient and lazy people don't like that.
Laziness is simply not an excuse to bother other people with off-topic posts.

There is a simple check button that you can check that will keep you logged in.
The biggest problem is that some have no sense of humor at all. Or think that everything you post should be taken seriously. Like in court.
fern

Post by fern »

"...no reason to force these people to read off-topic posts here..."

That is what you say and I consider it to be an extreme position as much NOBODY force nobody to read nothing.
The argument that there is other forum for that is specious. Sometime the lightly off topic subject is nevertheless connected with the content of this forum, not with the other. It is off topic, but at the same time in-topic precisely because this is computer chess place.
In fact it is the fact it is off topic which sometimes gives his interest and sometimes even charm to those posts.
In CFT all ifs off topic, so to say, so nothing is.
I really do not understand that obsession with not tolerating nothing "off topic" as if they pollute the place beyond repair.

Fern
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

fern wrote:"...no reason to force these people to read off-topic posts here..."

That is what you say and I consider it to be an extreme position as much NOBODY force nobody to read nothing.
Indeed it is what I say and obviously you do not need to agree. I'm just pointing out that your wish for "elasticity" is not necessarily shared by others.

If I wished off-topic threads to be allowed in this part, I would propose that they be clearly marked "OT: ..." instead of argue "nobody is compelled to read everything".