Rebel versions (UCI and DOS)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: Rebel versions (UCI and DOS)

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, any chance we can get an iPod version of Rebel with a large opening book? Maybe you can use the famous Rebel Comp-Killer books!

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Re: The solution for Rebel XP

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Here is the answer from Lokasoft:

"We stopped selling the Rebel 11 package, there was no demand for it and it has issues with windows 7. The link is no longer available from the shop
home page. Probably you found it though a google search.

Rgds
Lex"

That seems curious because on http://shop.lokasoft.nl/product.php/18/5
exists still an advertisement of Rebel 11 package

I asked Lex because of the former commecial Rebel 12 Windows
http://www.lokasoft.nl/rebel12.aspx too.

Norbert

P.S.: Do you know that Lex is planning Chesspartner 6 UCI engine like an internal project that could be released in the future?
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

P.S.: Do you know that Lex is planning Chesspartner 6 UCI engine like an internal project that could be released in the future?[/quote]

All I want is better online support like to be able to automatically send out seek request based on elo and time control and be able to automatically accept matches. On chessanytime it just gives me a error and cant auto accept matches.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Hi Ed,

Very interesting news indeed. My Rebel heart starts pounding faster immediately.
I still use Rebel Century UCI for positional analysis, liking its style which knows about prophylactic play.

Cheers,
Kaj
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Kaj Soderberg wrote:Hi Ed,

Very interesting news indeed. My Rebel heart starts pounding faster immediately.
I still use Rebel Century UCI for positional analysis, liking its style which knows about prophylactic play.

Cheers,
Kaj
Hi Kaj,

I wonder, have you ever tried to see how Rebel's play compares to that of its new and up-to-date incarnation, ProDeo ? Rebel was a legendary program by a legendary programmer, but why isn't anyone raving about the stronger (and presumably better?!) ProDeo?

(note: the strongest ProDeo to date appears to be version 1.86)

Regards,
CL
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

carldaman wrote:
Kaj Soderberg wrote:Hi Ed,

Cheers,
Kaj
Hi Kaj,

I wonder, have you ever tried to see how Rebel's play compares to that of its new and up-to-date incarnation, ProDeo ? Rebel was a legendary program by a legendary programmer, but why isn't anyone raving about the stronger (and presumably better?!) ProDeo?

(note: the strongest ProDeo to date appears to be version 1.86)

Regards,
CL
Hi Carl,

I have not played those two against each other, but I have played around with both.
As i see it, Pro Deo will probably win a match by a good margin against Rebel. Pro Deo being enhanced by Ed himself, and supported by fruity and stockfish stuff, the Elo gain is there.
A downside of this modernization of the engine, in my opinion, is that although the engine may be stronger in tournament play, it may have suffered in accuracy being much more selective and pruny than its famous predecessor.
Having played around with both, i see more of prophylactic moves, Nimzowitsch style if you like, in Rebel Century. I love that style.
I only use Century for analysis of positions, not for matches.
When Pro Deo goes MP (;-) my preferences may change.

Cheers,
Kaj