Houdini 3/4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: Houdini 3/4?

Post by ouachita »

Milos wrote:Many ppl with ego boosting motives if they are well coordinated certainly surpass a single individual with profit motive..
We know that SF's legions are comprised of, say, 500-600 people (that need paying jobs), but don't know what H's total team is comprised of. I'm for parity at the top and, although I have had a great paying job for decades, I am willing to assist the underdog to achieve parity.
Thanks to Gary, ppl that have no other valuable accomplishment in heir lives can suddenly start feeling important :P.Problem is that usually doesn't last long...
One of life's early cruel lessons: No matter how tough you think you are, there's always tougher guys around who will eventually kick your butt.
Last edited by ouachita on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Milos wrote:
mwyoung wrote:If a group of individuals with no profit motive are out performing a group of individuals with profit motives. By providing a better product. This does not speak badly of the first group, only the second group.

Profits + R&D = Greater Innovation.

If the second group is failing in this formula, it is not the fault of the first group.
Many ppl with ego boosting motives if they are well coordinated certainly surpass a single individual with profit motive.
Thanks to Gary, ppl that have no other valuable accomplishment in their lives can suddenly start feeling important :P.
Problem is that usually doesn't last long...
Again the first group has no fault in the demise of the second group. No matter the motives of the first group.

IF the commercial chess market is in trouble, the blame lies solely with the second group, and their failure to provide greater innovations in their products.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Milos

Post by Milos »

mwyoung wrote:Again the first group has no fault in the demise of the second group. No matter the motives of the first group.

IF the commercial chess market is in trouble, the blame lies solely with the second group, and their failure to provide greater innovations in their products.
I was not refuting that part of your comment, but this:
Profits + R&D = Greater Innovation.
It's not profit, it's investment that counts, currently investment in SF development is most certainly higher than in H or K development.
Motives of investment are obviously different.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Albert Silver wrote:
Houdini wrote: Not so long ago a 40 point increase would have been labeled "significant", nowadays apparently it's just "a little stronger". :shock:
This kind of advice shows that Stockfish is effectively killing commercial engines...

Cheers,
Robert
Not really. They have just been spoiled by the gains of Rybka and Houdini, and when these are not matched, there is disappointment. I do not think Stockfish has anything to do with this. Prior to Rybka, when Shredder and Fritz were the regular kings, 20-30 Elo in a year was considered significant, and people would test with a tactical test suite.

The along came Rybka, and for a few years it was 100 Elo a year. When Rybka 4 came out with only 30-35 Elo gained, it was announced a ripoff.

Houdini 3 was a huge gain over Houdini 2, and now Houdini 4 is less. I would say you are a victim of your own success.
And that of Robbolito. Credit where it's due.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Albert Silver wrote: I would say you are a victim of your own success.
A great phrase.

:)
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Milos wrote: Many ppl with ego boosting motives if they are well coordinated certainly surpass a single individual with profit motive.
Thanks to Gary, ppl that have no other valuable accomplishment in their lives can suddenly start feeling important :P.
Problem is that usually doesn't last long...
Your words are more true than you think !
The really talented, young Engineers fresh out of College will certainly NOT be attracted to a field where there is no financial gain.
In fact I remember reading a post somewhere by the great Don Dailey himself, that he actually considered himself only an average chess programmer; he frankly acknowledged that his pet Komodo was one of the top programmes, only because chess programming wasn't really attracting the best minds because of the lack of any real financial motivaton.
This is the sad truth.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis