Shokidoki wins gold medal in Yokohama

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Shokidoki wins gold medal in Yokohama

Post by hgm »

The ICGA mini-Shogi tournament, with 8 participants, under which the 4-fold unofficial World Champion (i.e. the UEC Cup winner), was won by Shokidoki with a perfect 7/7 score. So my trip to Japan was not in vain! 8-)
Henk

Re: Shokidoki wins gold medal in Yokohama

Post by Henk »

Congratulations.

Currently I'm teaching an elephant Mikado.
Last edited by Henk on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

hgm wrote:The ICGA mini-Shogi tournament, with 8 participants, under which the 4-fold unofficial World Champion (i.e. the UEC Cup winner), was won by Shokidoki with a perfect 7/7 score. So my trip to Japan was not in vain! 8-)
Wow!
Congratulations!

And 3rd with HaQiKi D in Chinese Chess as well.
Who is the Chimo programmer/operator on the left?
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Congrats - great achievement!

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Great pictures! A casually dressed old fellow destroying his opponent while stroking his beard! Give him a Cigar now :)
Congrats
Henk

Post by Henk »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Great pictures! A casually dressed old fellow destroying his opponent while stroking his beard! Give him a Cigar now :)
Congrats
Stroking his beard while Shodikodi doing aggressive razoring.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

hgm wrote:The ICGA mini-Shogi tournament, with 8 participants, under which the 4-fold unofficial World Champion (i.e. the UEC Cup winner), was won by Shokidoki with a perfect 7/7 score. So my trip to Japan was not in vain! 8-)
Congrats HG!!! :D
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Wow, I did not know there were already photographs of the event on the ICGA website. But these were from the Chinese Chess, taken Wednesday, to be precise. I was 3rd there, (with HaQiKi D), which is not all that big an achievement, considering there were only 4 participants. With at least 500 Elo difference between each two of them, the result of that tourney was rather predictable. But you know what they say: participating is more important than winning. And fun! I made a lot of Taiwanese friends here. (Not too many people from mainland China here; traveling abroad is still made very hard for them.)

Next two days will be regular Shogi, and Shokidoki participates in that one two. But as the engine is now completely optimized for mini-Shogi, and the opponents are truly formidable there, I don't expect to do very well.
Who is the Chimo programmer/operator on the left?
I don't really know. Many of the students hardly speak English, and that does not make them very talkative. I can inquire, if he is still around tomorrow.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Wow. Awesome achievement! Congratulations HG! :)
RJN

Post by RJN »

I don't know how to play those games, but nevertheless congratulations! No doubt you have put much work into this, and it payed off.