FIDE introduces their own online chess server

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

FIDE introduces their own online chess server

Post by Mike S. »

Introduction: http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... arena.html

My first impression was not a good one, but that's wrong, I just did not take enough time! Now, the longer I try it the more I like it. For me, the look & feel was a bit unusual at first, but it is easy to get accustomed to it and to find all the features which are quite many. Some are unavailable for guest accounts. It is a Java application without the menus known from typical windows server clients, and currently is described as a test version.

Guest access is free for now, providing a unique user name and a rating. :mrgreen:

Certainly worth to give it a try.
Regards, Mike
Uri Blass

Re: FIDE introduces their own online chess server

Post by Uri Blass »

I do not believe the following part:

"When the full version of FIDE online arena starts in October, every move of every game played by full arena members will be monitored and extensively analyzed by the anti-cheating system and a special team of experts, creating a fair playing venue for all. While it is not possible to prevent some players from cheating, this constant highly detailed monitoring guarantees that they can be successfully identified and appropriate action taken."

You can detect stupid cheaters who play every move like houdini but
I do not see a way to detect cheaters who do not use houdini in most of their moves but still use houdini in some critical positions to get rating that is 100 elo higher than they can get without it.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Moreover, I see a capacity problem with that claim: "every move of every game (...) will be monitored and extensively analyzed"

How many supercomputers would that require? :mrgreen: With hundreds of blitz games running in parallel, 24/7, I guess that would be even beyond NSA capability.
Regards, Mike
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Seems the future is online gaming in chess. I won't be surprised if tournament shall be arrange remotely using the server and you just need one room to accommodate each player of a country and a fide certified arbiter to overlook the game in progress.
You need to have the fighting spirit, you need to force moves and take chances!!! - Bobby Fischer
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Thanks, is good new. :D

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Maximus wrote:Seems the future is online gaming in chess. I won't be surprised if tournament shall be arrange remotely using the server and you just need one room to accommodate each player of a country and a fide certified arbiter to overlook the game in progress.
No way.
I think that the only important tournaments can be OTB(it is easier to fight against cheating in OTB tournament)

There are a lot of online servers that you can play chess without fide and I see nothing special with fide.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

But if every player has a reliable arbiter on his side? Why are you so sceptical? Also, from a practical viewpoint, it would save a lot of costs (flight, hotel...).

It could be the future.
Regards, Mike
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

WOW :shock: Thank you for the OP. Very important occurrence! I hope they have good graphics for the chess GUI and good Admins!

Any news on what they will charge players?

Cordially,

Sean
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Mike S. wrote:But if every player has a reliable arbiter on his side? Why are you so sceptical? Also, from a practical viewpoint, it would save a lot of costs (flight, hotel...).

It could be the future.
In order to have a reliable arbiter you need to pay for them when paying may include (flight,hotel...) so I am not sure that the cost is going to be smaller.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Uri Blass wrote:
Mike S. wrote:But if every player has a reliable arbiter on his side? Why are you so sceptical? Also, from a practical viewpoint, it would save a lot of costs (flight, hotel...).

It could be the future.
In order to have a reliable arbiter you need to pay for them when paying may include (flight,hotel...) so I am not sure that the cost is going to be smaller.
If even only two or three sites were,
but if they play 300 players , as control.
is an idea very weak.

Perhaps a much lower level, 2200 ELO or less...