Question regarding CLOP and cutechess-cli

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jacobbl

Question regarding CLOP and cutechess-cli

Post by jacobbl »

I've started using CLOP (windows version) and must thank Remi for a very nice program. But I have some problems when I'm using CLOP together with cutechess-cli. In the .clop file I ask for 9 threads and this works fine, but after a while one after one of the threads dies so after a couple of hours I have only one or two threads still alive. When I check my task manager I still have 9 instances of cutechess-cli, but only one or two instances of the engines.

I don't think the engines crash, because when running with the same timelimits (40/10s) and same number of threads with littleblitzer I don't get any crashes and no loss on time.

I've been working two weeks with different settings, different time limit, different eninges and different number of threads, but I can't get rid of the problem. Has anybody else had this problem and does anyone have a suggestion for a solution.

Regards
Jacob
jdart

Re: Question regarding CLOP and cutechess-cli

Post by jdart »

Not sure what is happening - is there anything in the log files?

Also
I don't think the engines crash, because when running with the same timelimits (40/10s) and same number of threads with littleblitzer I don't get any crashes and no loss on time.
cutechess-cli is a different environment so you may get different behavior there. Maybe you should try the -recover option to cutechess-cli. Without this it will terminate a match if one of the engines appears to not be responding.

--Jon
jacobbl

Post by jacobbl »

Hi, thanks for your answer.

The log file shows nothing, so no help there :-(

I allready use the -recover option, the -restart option for both the engines and -wait 100. I havn't been using any draw option yet, but I'm trying this now to see if this might help.

Without solving this problem I don't get enougth games to use CLOP, and that's a shame since I really like CLOP.

Thanks anyhow for answering my question.

Best regards Jacob
jdart

Post by jdart »

I've run 10's of thousands of games with CLOP + cutechess-cli, no problems (although I have had to weed out some engine opponents that were not stable).

One difference is, I don't use Windows - all my test machines are Linux.

--Jon
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

What version of cutechess-cli you are using? I use 0.5.1 and it is fine.
jacobbl

Post by jacobbl »

Thanks for your answer.

I'm using version 0.6.0.

After I added -draw movenumber=120 -movecount=10 score=30 it works better, still a few lost threads, but now I usually have around 7 of 9 threads after running it through the night. So it looks like the engines call it a draw and quits while cutechess still is playing on. If I change my -draw a bit more it might work even better.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Do not use that version. See some issues here when using windows.
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=10
jacobbl

Post by jacobbl »

Thanks for the tip, I'll install version 0.5.1 and see if that works better.