Table-driven move generation for Pawns

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Table-driven move generation for Pawns

Post by vittyvirus »

Hello!
I did some more work with the table driven move generation thing and managed do some more improvement.
Here are the ideas:
1. Pawn attack masks are hashed per two ranks, which means you require 16 bits for two ranks. Captures are excluded because capture attack masks are sparsely populated, and need to be separately hashed. Here's the pseudocode for white (note that I'm using uint16_t for indexing):

Code: Select all

uint16_t pawn_attacks_rank_3_4_idx = (single_pushes | double_pushes) >> 16;
uint16_t pawn_attacks_rank_5_6_idx = single_pushes >> 32;
uint16_t pawn_attacks_rank_7_8_idx = (single_pushes | non_cap_promotion) >> 48;
add_moves(PawnHashTable1[WHITE][pawn_attacks_rank_3_4_idx]);
// ...
2. For the ranks 3 and 4 (rank 5 and 6 for black), both single pushes and double pushes are handled in one go. This is done by using the facts that in a single-push attack mask, two rank-wise continuous squares can't be both set, and that if you have a pawn double push, a single push must also be pseudo-legally posible. So two rankwise continuous squares set in a attack mask are used to indicate pawn double pushes.

Table sizes
---
For pawn attacks masks on rank 3 and 4, max possible moves are 16, so the table size is ~4.35MB.
For pawn attacks masks on rank 5 and 6, max possible moves are 8, so the table size is ~2.25MB.
For pawn attacks masks on rank 7 and 8, max possible moves are 32, so the table size is ~8.25MB.
Therefore the total table size of the three tables amounts to ~14.75MB.
Table sizes can be drastically brought down by using additional redirection to allocate only the required memory for each movelist.

Results
---
I must say, table-driven move generation paid off more than I expected it to. With no other changes in the source code except using this technique (and using movelists for knights and sliders as well), I got a 25-30% speedup compared to my implementation of magic bitboards, when there are all pawns on the board. The speedup also touched 39% for some positions! Of course you can test for yourself, the source code and a lot of test positions are provided.
I also want you to note how 32-bit friendly this approach is, since there are no multiplications involved, and the shifts are quite 32-bit friendly as well. It'd be interesting to test this technique for 32-bits and see the results.

Source Code
---
Here you go: https://sites.google.com/site/sydfhd/projects/yaka
Download the file "YakaPawnMoveLists.zip", be careful because there are some similar looking names.
See files attacks.cpp (lines 62-173) for initialization code, and also movegen.h (lines 216-288) for seeing it all in action.
Also, you can go "bench 6 ToughGuys ToughGuysOut.txt" in each executable to test the speed.

Postscript
---
Be alarmed people, there is something seriously faster than magic bitboards in town!
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Table-driven move generation for Pawns

Post by AndrewGrant »

Are you basing the speed up off PERFT tests, or off of actual searches?
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

AndrewGrant wrote:Are you basing the speed up off PERFT tests, or off of actual searches?
Duh, I'm talking about perft speed.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Are you trying to get these ideas into an actual engine, or just a perft calc?
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

AndrewGrant wrote:Are you trying to get these ideas into an actual engine, or just a perft calc?
For now, they're only for people who care about perft speed, or for chess engine authors who don't want to miss that 0.1% optimisation.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

or for chess engine authors who don't want to miss that 0.1% optimisation
that implies an extension outside of just PERFT