ICT13

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jkrabbenbos

ICT13

Post by jkrabbenbos »

As already mentioned in the open letter and in the tournament section of this forum:

The CSVN (Dutch Computer Chess Federation) is holding its 13th International CSVN Tournament on June 1 and 2. Programmers are invited to participate in the tournament. Please have a look on our website: http://bit.ly/178HSre for the time schedule and http://bit.ly/10GS5pG for the participation rules.

Any questions can be directed to me.

(And we are looking into the problem of the Python script under Windows.)
Regards,
Jan
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Re: ICT13

Post by Sven »

Hi Jan,

please fix this line in the time schedule:
14:05-15:05 6th round ICT
(should be 14:05-16:05 I guess).

Sven
DrRibosome

Post by DrRibosome »

Why does this require someone to be on site? Unless I read the rules wrong, doesn't that heavily curtail participation?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

But it increases the number of people that are on site! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One could also wonder why they picked computer Chess as the activity for this event. Surely there would be much more participation if it only involved drinking Coca Cola.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

DrRibosome wrote:Why does this require someone to be on site? Unless I read the rules wrong, doesn't that heavily curtail participation?
An object of programmer's tournaments like this is to stimulate interaction, also social interaction, and exchange of ideas. Historically this was done with tournaments with the programmers being on site. Likewise with the WCCC and tournaments like the ACM in the united States. At the time it was not so easy to provide things like remote chatfunctions although I think with terminals it would have been possible. Now there are I think simply less programmers interested in these type of events and on the technological side, it has become much easier to interact online. So the need for them is not so great anymore But both kinds of events I think have a right of existence. Unless it is not possible to find enough participants of course, or no sponsors can be found.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Meeting people face to face is really an incomparable experience compared to chatting on-line. You exchange at least an order of magnitude more information during the event.

I can really recommend it to everyone (both Leiden and the WCCC; I have never been to ACM). It is an unforgetable experience. Especially if you participate. You learn more from an OTB tourney with 8 participants than from an on-line event with over 100.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Yes, there is definitely is place for tournaments such as this and WCCC where programemrs are physically present, and talk to each other and exchange ideas. It would be a sad day if the internet took over completely.
jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Thanks Sven, I've corrected it.

In the mean time there is also a program available for Windows to run the similarity test. See the download section on the website.

And indeed it is one of the main goals of our tournaments to have programmers around to share knowledge with each other. This is stimulating the progress for everybody! Including their engines.
Regards,
Jan