Question about using Gaviota

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Question about using Gaviota

Post by Amstaff »

Hello, Gaviota is a very nice engine. I want to use it in analysis mode in my GUIs (Fritz, Shredder, etc.) When I hit the analyze button nothing happens. I have loaded the engine in UCI mode. I am probably doing something wrong.
I would appreciate helpful comments. Thanks in advance,
Gerald
IGarcia

Re: Question about using Gaviota

Post by IGarcia »

Amstaff wrote:Hello, Gaviota is a very nice engine. I want to use it in analysis mode in my GUIs (Fritz, Shredder, etc.) When I hit the analyze button nothing happens. I have loaded the engine in UCI mode. I am probably doing something wrong.
Gerald
Try analyze a position different from initial one, and see if problem persist.
Some middle game position, out of book and out of endgame TB.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

IGarcia wrote:
Amstaff wrote:Hello, Gaviota is a very nice engine. I want to use it in analysis mode in my GUIs (Fritz, Shredder, etc.) When I hit the analyze button nothing happens. I have loaded the engine in UCI mode. I am probably doing something wrong.
Gerald
That is a very good suggestion. If in book, gaviota may return just a move. In winboard I solved that issue because when gaviota sees the command "analyze" immediately and temporarily deactivates the book. But in UCI it may not be so straightforward. I need to check what I have done in UCI to avoid that problem (If I did something) because all this has been done a while ago.

Miguel
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

michiguel wrote:
IGarcia wrote:
Gerald
That is a very good suggestion. If in book, gaviota may return just a move. In winboard I solved that issue because when gaviota sees the command "analyze" immediately and temporarily deactivates the book. But in UCI it may not be so straightforward. I need to check what I have done in UCI to avoid that problem (If I did something) because all this has been done a while ago.

Miguel
Most UCI engines I've seen disable book when go infinite is given - maybe you could try that?

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

ZirconiumX wrote:
michiguel wrote:
IGarcia wrote:
Gerald

Miguel
Most UCI engines I've seen disable book when go infinite is given - maybe you could try that?

Matthew:out
Thanks. I do remember I fixed it for winboard, but I do not remember what I did for UCI. Maybe nothing and what you suggest would work.

Miguel
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Hi Gerald,

I have never had a problem using Gaviota to analyze a position when using Arena as the GUI. While I am no expert with Fritz, I do have the Fritz 13 GUI. I just loaded the latest version of Gaviota into Fritz 13 GUI and it would analyze positions for me.

I know that this provides no solution to your problem, but it does indicate that Gaviota can analyze under Fritz.

Adam
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

michiguel wrote:
IGarcia wrote:
Gerald

Miguel
So maybe I don't see a problem because I have the book turned off in the .ini file.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

michiguel wrote: But in UCI it may not be so straightforward. I need to check what I have done in UCI to avoid that problem (If I did something) because all this has been done a while ago.
The option UCI_AnalyseMode is intended for this. "go infinite" can conceivably used to implement a mode for normal games, e.g. simul mode, where you have to move after a not previously specifiable time, when the GM passes by your board. It does not guarantee you are in anallyze mode.