Talkchess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Talkchess

Post by jshriver »

Just wanted to say humbly, that I've been a member here for over 10 years, maybe 17? heck.. 1996 seems so far away now.

Anyway, as I grow older, I find that who you talk with tends to be more important, in that respect I find a lot of you friends. We may not live near each other, or even converse directly that much. But this is a community, and like myself who finds himself in a life-long computer chess addiction :) it's really nice to come and go from here. Almost like a second home.

Because I know when I come back, those I knew often are here, and still some fresh faces to enjoy and enjoy my life with.

I have utmost respect for those who have gone from initial joy of concept to full blown release of their engine. Something after 17 years I'm still trying to do.

Just respect, and enjoy you all... the posts here add great value to my life. Just wanted to mention that.

Hope you are all well,
-Joshua Shriver
jshriver

Re: Talkchess

Post by jshriver »

I want to also show my respect not only to developers, but those who enjoy the scene. Namely Graham Banks... while not a developer he has done so much for our couse. It's truly a diverse group, and I respect you all.

-Josh
Don

Post by Don »

jshriver wrote:Just wanted to say humbly, that I've been a member here for over 10 years, maybe 17? heck.. 1996 seems so far away now.

Anyway, as I grow older, I find that who you talk with tends to be more important, in that respect I find a lot of you friends. We may not live near each other, or even converse directly that much. But this is a community, and like myself who finds himself in a life-long computer chess addiction :) it's really nice to come and go from here. Almost like a second home.

Because I know when I come back, those I knew often are here, and still some fresh faces to enjoy and enjoy my life with.

I have utmost respect for those who have gone from initial joy of concept to full blown release of their engine. Something after 17 years I'm still trying to do.

Just respect, and enjoy you all... the posts here add great value to my life. Just wanted to mention that.

Hope you are all well,
-Joshua Shriver
Nicely said Joshua,

I hope all is well with you.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
gerold

Post by gerold »

jshriver wrote:Just wanted to say humbly, that I've been a member here for over 10 years, maybe 17? heck.. 1996 seems so far away now.

Hope you are all well,
-Joshua Shriver
Plus One.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hope you are all well,
-Joshua Shriver
An extremely emotional post coming directly from the heart and this a rather rare phenomena nowadays 8-)

I do share almost all your thoughts and feelings....
Thank you regards,
Dr.D

P.S.Good luck with your upcoming wedding :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Deleted post

Post by zullil »

jshriver wrote:I want to also show my respect not only to developers, but those who enjoy the scene. Namely Graham Banks... while not a developer he has done so much for our couse. It's truly a diverse group, and I respect you all.

-Josh
Why was Sean's post expressing a different opinion of Graham's effect on TalkChess deleted? (Was it because he referred to Graham as "[edited by mod]?")

I disagree with the opinion Sean expressed, but shouldn't he be allowed to express his opinion?
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Deleted post

Post by JuLieN »

zullil wrote:
jshriver wrote:I want to also show my respect not only to developers, but those who enjoy the scene. Namely Graham Banks... while not a developer he has done so much for our couse. It's truly a diverse group, and I respect you all.

-Josh
Why was Sean's post expressing a different opinion of Graham's effect on TalkChess deleted? (Was it because he referred to Graham as "[edited by mod]?")

I disagree with the opinion Sean expressed, but shouldn't he be allowed to express his opinion?
Yes Louis, this is exactly the reason why. :) Sean yet had posts removed In the past precisely because of this exact same insult, so he knows the drill. He is totally free to repost his opinion but without the insult (forbidden by the forum's charter; insults is where the line is drawn between free speech and abuse).

For the same reason I had to edit out your quote of his insult, sorry. :(
Last edited by JuLieN on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Deleted post

Post by zullil »

OK, thanks for the explanation.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Hope you are all well,
-Joshua Shriver
Hey! nice post, but also looks like a good by previous to jump under the train. Hope is just a erroneous impression.

By the way, did you receive my postcard?

Ignacio.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

IGarcia wrote: By the way, did you receive my postcard?

Ignacio.
Yes I did thank you very much. In fact still receiving them :)

Guess I'm in a chipper mood, just came back from a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and proposed to my girlfriend there. She said yes so a bit on cloud nine. Plus work has been good lately too. Things are just turning around for me.