Should TalkChess.com Be Moved To A New Server??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 33

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Members of CCC are requesting updated forum software. At the moment our webserver host and administrator: "Your Move Chess & Games" is not interested in upgrading the software. In addition, they probably are not really interested in hosting TalkChess.com anymore, i.e. they are half-hearted in effort.

The POLL question is:

In addition, we might want to have an informal discussion of where we could find a server that we can agree upon. In other words, what criteria should we use in selecting a new server?

My suggestions are:

1. Neutrality - No "ONE" person should be able to dictate the rules for the server.
2. Control - No "ONE" person should have control of the server, especially if they are posting on the web forum and/or have commercial interests in computer chess.

Cordially,

Sean
Don

Re: Should TalkChess.com Be Moved To A New Server??

Post by Don »

Sean Evans wrote:Members of CCC are requesting updated forum software. At the moment our webserver host and administrator: "Your Move Chess & Games" is not interested in upgrading the software. In addition, they probably are not really interested in hosting TalkChess.com anymore, i.e. they are half-hearted in effort.

The POLL question is:

In addition, we might want to have an informal discussion of where we could find a server that we can agree upon. In other words, what criteria should we use in selecting a new server?

My suggestions are:

1. Neutrality - No "ONE" person should be able to dictate the rules for the server.
2. Control - No "ONE" person should have control of the server, especially if they are posting on the web forum and/or have commercial interests in computer chess.

Cordially,

Sean
I know someone who may be willing to host the site at no expense - although I would suggest that if he does we be allowed to donate toward the expense.

I think he would be "hands off" as far as trying to control the content - but that still begs the question which is "who is ultimately in charge?"
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Talkchess has been with ChessUSA for a long time. They don't try to run this forum. Members here have the most say for the rules and how it is run. And it is free and a lot of people in a lot of counties will not pay to be in a chess forum when there are a number that are free to go to. If you move and charge of course the forum will loose a lot of members. The new owners may not turn out very well either. I vote to leave things as they are and work together if you want a change. I like it the way it is now.

Best,
Gerold.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gerold wrote:Talkchess has been with ChessUSA for a long time. They don't try to run this forum. Members here have the most say for the rules and how it is run. And it is free and a lot of people in a lot of counties will not pay to be in a chess forum when there are a number that are free to go to. If you move and charge of course the forum will loose a lot of members. The new owners may not turn out very well either. I vote to leave things as they are and work together if you want a change. I like it the way it is now.

Best,
Gerold.
I agree with Gerold.
Where does loyalty lie with many of you?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Don

Post by Don »

Graham Banks wrote:
gerold wrote:Talkchess has been with ChessUSA for a long time. They don't try to run this forum. Members here have the most say for the rules and how it is run. And it is free and a lot of people in a lot of counties will not pay to be in a chess forum when there are a number that are free to go to. If you move and charge of course the forum will loose a lot of members. The new owners may not turn out very well either. I vote to leave things as they are and work together if you want a change. I like it the way it is now.

Best,
Gerold.
I agree with Gerold.
Where does loyalty lie with many of you?
I think you are being a little melodramatic. This service they have provided fits in to their business model at the moment and that is why it exists. I have no problem with that - that's how business works and they are doing nothing wrong here. However, we asked for a software upgrade a year or two ago and they refused - unless of course we were willing to pay them. I don't think it's a loyalty issue for them, or for us and we could do a whole lot better.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Evert

Post by Evert »

It should only be moved if the forum archives go with it.

Don't move lightly though, or ad-hoc, because then chances are you'll be moving again relatively soon. Remember: hosting something is one thing, maintaining it is another.

On that note: it's probably a good idea to upgrade from a security point of view as well, which is something "they" should consider. If they require a one-time fee for the upgrade, which may be fair, we can organise a collection among members. Crowd-funding, if you will. Once we have collected enough money the upgrade can go through.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hello fellows,

Remember, TalkChess.com will still be functioning as always. It will still be owned by "Your Move". So if you want to keep posting at CCC, that is up to you.

What others are suggesting is a new server, which the membership controls, allowing the members to set the rules, including upgraded software, etc.

The old post archives stay at TalkChess.com, because it never stopped functioning!

Cordially,

Sean
mvk

Post by mvk »

Sean Evans wrote:Members of CCC are requesting updated forum software. At the moment our webserver host and administrator: "Your Move Chess & Games" is not interested in upgrading the software. In addition, they probably are not really interested in hosting TalkChess.com anymore, i.e. they are half-hearted in effort.

The POLL question is:

It would be especially great if the new software has an infinite loop detector for some threads.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Sorry to add more spam to this never ending discussion...

But there is a solution to all your problems. It's called Open Chess, and the software there is much better in so many ways.

All you need to do is move to Open Chess
www.open-chess.org

The only reason why I still use this forum instead of Open Chess, is because Open Chess (even though much better technicall) is mostly empty, and not many people are active on there.

So the solution is only a few clicks away. A no brainer. And let's not get sentimental about it: a forum is just a forum, a means not an end in itself.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
gerold

Post by gerold »

lucasart wrote:Sorry to add more spam to this never ending discussion...

But there is a solution to all your problems. It's called Open Chess, and the software there is much better in so many ways.

All you need to do is move to Open Chess
www.open-chess.org

The only reason why I still use this forum instead of Open Chess, is because Open Chess (even though much better technicall) is mostly empty, and not many people are active on there.

So the solution is only a few clicks away. A no brainer. And let's not get sentimental about it: a forum is just a forum, a means not an end in itself.
Openchess is nice forum. Also a couple others. But we need another chess forum :-). I visit openchess every day and check if anything new is going on there. I really don't see anything wrong with CCC. Its the number one on my list. Has been for 10 years. If it has worked for years and in my mine the best someone is doing something right. I really do appreciate Chess USA for footing the bill and letting people use the forum for free. Also they do not tell members how to run the forum. One of the best things about CCC is the people get to elect their choice of Mods. who do a very good job of keeping a few trouble makers at bay. :)

Best,
Gerold.