Arasan 13.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Need your help ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Alex,

thanks!
I think a wonderful webpage can be created. A lot of other ideas can be add from time to time. But this one have nothing to do with a rating list. Main point will be not a rating, main point will be the playing style, good game material for analyzes and all the information the programmers will give me in combination with my own impressions.

Jon Dart will be an optimal person for such a pilot project. He develops Arasan many years and give so many good information about computerchess all the years.

Let us wait of his answer.

Best
Frank

Yes I know, you do a lot of good things on your older UCI page. I try a bit from this one in my older Winboard page in the detail pages too. But to do that with all engines are for many years not possible. Important is that many of actual amateurs will get an additional chance to give information on an second page.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:But this one have nothing to do with a rating list. Main point will be not a rating, main point will be the playing style, good game material for analyzes and all the information the programmers will give me in combination with my own impressions.
OK, but i think you have to give visitors of your page a clue about the strength. I remember I also tried it with stars but then you have the discussions: Why does Engine A has 5 stars and Engine B only 4"... :)

I can contribute some informations about Engines with adjustable playing strength, at the moment I do some tests in this area.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Alex,

thinking on stars to endgame, early endgame, middlegame, early middelgame, aggressiveness, positional chess ... yes!

Thinking too on a category in main strength:
Example: Arasan 13.2 got 6/10 as final result.

But more important is to write a bit about:
Playing style as description.

To this description the programmer can add some information too, if they like. Example: I have the opinion that my engine have strengths in ... Furthermore an own GUI is available and what the programmer like to write to his engine.

I will give such information too:
Game 150 of 1.000 ... mistake in Rock endgame, move 73
Game 768 of 1.000 ... can't set mate with KNB vs. K

Such things!

Yes, adjustable playing strengths are very important too. I gave PerOla the order to create this in Ruffian before I produced the commercial Ruffian DVD. Chiron have such things, if I understand.

If you like you are welcome and we can create such a webpage in team work. You are working on your selection and I am working on my selection.

Not easy is to find out 20 basic engines:

So far I am thinking on:

01. Critter
02. Stockfish PHQ
03. Spark
04. Hannibal
05. BugChess2
06. AnMon
07. Francesca
08. Pharaon
09. Chiron
10. Gaviota
11. Protector
12. Umko
13. Phalanx
14. Equinox
15. Tornado
16. Daydreamer
17. ETChess
18. Zarkov
19. Rebel
20. Colossus

Example:
Jon Dart can give the information:
I will see a test vs. 12, 13, 16, and so one ... vs. 10 of this 20!
Place 21. - 22. is free. The programmer can say ... you have engine x not in your list and I will see 21. Glass and 22. SOS. With other words, I gave 20 basic engines and the programmer can pick 8 with two extra wishes as opponents (but no commercials here).

Must thinking about it in detail ...

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi there,

I think I must give more as 20:

21. TheKing
22. Smarthink

Must thinking about this list of engines.

Best
Frank
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Yes, adjustable playing strengths are very important too. I gave PerOla the order to create this in Ruffian before I produced the commercial Ruffian DVD. Chiron have such things, if I understand.

If you like you are welcome and we can create such a webpage in team work. You are working on your selection and I am working on my selection.
I probably won't do a webpage anymore...
Frank Quisinsky wrote:I think I must give more as 20:

21. TheKing
22. Smarthink

Must thinking about this list of engines.

Best
Frank
You should definitely have a look at Amyan. Still my love :D
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Alex,

OK, no problem at all.

Yes, Amyan is great too.
I think I have to collect a good group of basic engines.

Example:
The programmer of Predateur Julien have interest. Julien should find a good group of engines with +- on ELO in the list of engines too. I think it made no sense for Julien to play directly vs. Critter or Stockfish.

I think 3 weeks I need for the webapge, not many time to do that. After this one I can start with full of energy for this idea.

:-)

Best
Frank
jdart

Re: Arasan 13.2

Post by jdart »

Yes, the name is the same. There are some additions at the end.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I am not quite clear what you want from me. Some personal info, sure, I can do that. Then, a list of engines? I can give you one - I use a lot of them, although I don't have quite the collection the full-time testers do. I happen to do most of my offline testing on Linux, so I most use engines that have a Linux version. Sometimes I will run a match on Windows. Arasan is not a super-strong engine, so I generally don't use the strongest engines against it. Spike is a challenging opponent (and runs on Linux!), so is Pharaon (but no Linux, and I have seen Pharaon crash on Windows).

I do observe Arasan games pretty often and I will often notice a weakness, and sometimes a bug, and if I do find one, I will try to fix it. If I have someone else giving me similar info, that would certainly be helpful (once in a while I do get an email with a problematic game or position).

I don't know if you plan to use the engines' own books or a common one? On the chess servers, Arasan runs with its own book and I am also always looking for it playing a bad book line. For offline matches though I use a set of canned start positions.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Jon,

means, you have to search in a list of x engines 10 opponents. My systems will be play vs. each of this ten engines 100 games with 40 moves in 40 minutes or 40 moves in 30 minutes (must find out a good test method). Your engine will playing 1.000 games with the opening book I created for my older SWCR. Works fine, each variant is checked by four different strong engines.

After this one I create a detail page to the test results:

At first with the information I got from yourself with my form: Information about yourself and Arasan.

At second with the results of the 1.000 games.
At third with a replay zone of this 1.000 games.
At forth with a download file of this 1.000 games.
At fifth with playing style discription
At sixed with mistakes I found in detail in the games.
At seventh with further comments by yourself (if you like or other readers like to do that).

All what you have to do is to fill out the form and I try to give the other information. And if you like you can set comments to the detail page I will create about this test.

And after Arasan the next engine will go in this test :-)
If the programmer have interest on it and fill out my form.

If I understand ...
No, no the 1.000 games my systems will be play. I used Windows XP x64 and an own opening book. The book works fine in over 85.000 SWCR games without any problems with bad variants.

If you have interest on this pilot project I will develops the webpage and we can start this test. All what you have to do is to fill out an easy form.

Users and the programmer will get a lot of information and not the information in ELO only. ELO isn't important for this test.

Best
Frank
jdart

Post by jdart »

Ok, I can do that. I listed already some of my favorite engines here:
http://arasanchess.org/links.shtml.

--Jon