GUI's

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Bodkin

GUI's

Post by George Bodkin »

What is the best GUI to user. Right now I user Arena 3.0. Is their anything better out their in Chess Land that works better?

Thanks George
tomgdrums

Re: GUI's

Post by tomgdrums »

George Bodkin wrote:What is the best GUI to user. Right now I user Arena 3.0. Is their anything better out their in Chess Land that works better?

Thanks George
For playing and analyzing I like the Shredder GUI. I am also learning to enjoy the chess partner GUI a bit more!

But I don't really do engine vs. engine testing that much.
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

It depends on what you want it for and what you're willing to pay.

Of the freeware:

For engine vs engine tournaments, Arena is probably best.

For analysis and going over games, I like SCID-vs-PC. It's a fork of the popular SCID program, and it's still being actively developed. It will hold engine-vs-engine tournaments as well.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Thanks Tom 8-)

BTW, Gregor mentioned to me he's hoping to make an initial release of Scidb sometime around May.
Of course he'll be coding for quite a while before he's got half the features of Scid, and i think he's planning a 3D board for sometime later too.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

For engine v engine testing, I prefer ChessGUI, but Arena is another great free GUI.
gbanksnz at gmail.com