WOW! The Rybka Affair reaches into mainstream news

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

WOW! The Rybka Affair reaches into mainstream news

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

I have to say I was surprised to find the Fruit-Rybka code stealing story in the major German news-magazine, Der Spiegel:

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/ ... 16,00.html

:shock: :shock: :shock: :!:

The magazine is the most read, high quality news media in Germany, comparable to Times magazine or NY Times etc...

So get your Google translator working....

Cheers,
Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: WOW! The Rybka Affair reaches into mainstream news

Post by JuLieN »

Hehe, the german to french translation by Google is a nightmare ^^ Hardly understandable. I'll try to render this "pseudo french/german" "translation" to english, so you understand (or not ;), including the grammar mistakes ) :

"Furthermore, the scene of chess by computer has its copy and the scandal pasta. Pilorié (???) Vasik is Rajlich, the developers of Rybka, the chess game the stronger program in four years in the world. Rybka is it that the accusation relies on copied code. Some copies will be o,n the scene quite often."

This is just the beginning of the article, and I want to stress on the fact that those are not MY grammar mistakes. ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Michel

Post by Michel »

Yes Google translate seems to be quite bad with German.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

JuLieN wrote:Hehe, the german to french translation by Google is a nightmare ^^ Hardly understandable. I'll try to render this "pseudo french/german" "translation" to english, so you understand (or not ;), including the grammar mistakes ) :

"Furthermore, the scene of chess by computer has its copy and the scandal pasta. Pilorié (???) Vasik is Rajlich, the developers of Rybka, the chess game the stronger program in four years in the world. Rybka is it that the accusation relies on copied code. Some copies will be o,n the scene quite often."

This is just the beginning of the article, and I want to stress on the fact that those are not MY grammar mistakes. ;)
I have not tested it, but try the Bing translator (MS) as it is also very good and not the same.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

:shock:

Thanks for the link,

Luckily I don't need Google :)

It'll be interesting to see what comes from the ICGA Panel.

Richard
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

JuLieN wrote:Hehe, the german to french translation by Google is a nightmare ^^ Hardly understandable. I'll try to render this "pseudo french/german" "translation" to english, so you understand (or not ;), including the grammar mistakes ) :

The computer chess scene has it's scandal pasta :lol:
So we'll have to wait to reach it's final pizza stage.....

:P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Hehe, not that we didn't know yet that all this story is pretty... cheesy. ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

JuLieN wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Hehe, not that we didn't know yet that all this story is pretty... cheesy. ;)
And smells of pepperoni! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Steve B »

Well now that this issue has made the mainstream media
we do need our moderating team to dress appropriately from hereon in when talking to TV reporters and the press
i propose that they come to work here each day in a suit and tie

CNN Regards
Steve