Authors and WCCC

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Authors and WCCC

Post by jshriver »

There are a lot of engines out there. Yet it seems year after year only a portion go to WCCC either in person (understandable) or are entered via a proxy user who will use their engine.

While my own interest was to create something strong and some beautiful code now that 10 years have past and I'm older I'll just be happy to make something that works and is semi-decent.

I hope once I'm done with this final stage, to enter WCCC in '11. For those who read/post here. What is your story?

From the time your engine could play it's first legal chess game, to competing either in something like FICS/ICC or even WCCC what are your thoughts. If you competed in the WCCC what was it like? I hope to share that feeling someday :)

-Josh

Btw mods, not sure if it goes here or general so feel free to move as you feel appropriate :)
bob

Re: Authors and WCCC

Post by bob »

jshriver wrote:There are a lot of engines out there. Yet it seems year after year only a portion go to WCCC either in person (understandable) or are entered via a proxy user who will use their engine.

While my own interest was to create something strong and some beautiful code now that 10 years have past and I'm older I'll just be happy to make something that works and is semi-decent.

I hope once I'm done with this final stage, to enter WCCC in '11. For those who read/post here. What is your story?

From the time your engine could play it's first legal chess game, to competing either in something like FICS/ICC or even WCCC what are your thoughts. If you competed in the WCCC what was it like? I hope to share that feeling someday :)

-Josh

Btw mods, not sure if it goes here or general so feel free to move as you feel appropriate :)
First time it is intimidating, because you are up against "old hands" that have been at it for several years. My first program played its first move in October of 1968. The first ACM computer chess event was held in 1970. At that time I could not compete as we had no way to connect remotely, and everything we had was cards and printers. But I attended a couple since I regularly went to ACM conferences. My first ACM event was 1976. My first WCCC was 1977. And I was hooked, although it took time to catch up. Back then there were presentations by various authors, plus the informal discussions and such, which made the events invaluable. However, we had nothing like CCC or usenet news in the early days so meeting in person was about the only way ideas were propagated. Today the WCCC events are way behind, because discussions happen online every day, as opposed to once every 3 years (or every year as the WCCC events are held now).

The current format is pretty unpalatable for many. Way too many days, held in exotic and difficult to reach locations, requiring excessive expenses for rooms, travel, two weeks off from work, etc.

Competition is fun. Whether it is a WCCC event, or an online event.
silentshark

Re: Authors and WCCC

Post by silentshark »

bob wrote:
jshriver wrote:There are a lot of engines out there. Yet it seems year after year only a portion go to WCCC either in person (understandable) or are entered via a proxy user who will use their engine.

-Josh

First time it is intimidating, because you are up against "old hands" that have been at it for several years. My first program played its first move in October of 1968. The first ACM computer chess event was held in 1970. At that time I could not compete as we had no way to connect remotely, and everything we had was cards and printers. But I attended a couple since I regularly went to ACM conferences. My first ACM event was 1976. My first WCCC was 1977. And I was hooked, although it took time to catch up. Back then there were presentations by various authors, plus the informal discussions and such, which made the events invaluable. However, we had nothing like CCC or usenet news in the early days so meeting in person was about the only way ideas were propagated. Today the WCCC events are way behind, because discussions happen online every day, as opposed to once every 3 years (or every year as the WCCC events are held now).

The current format is pretty unpalatable for many. Way too many days, held in exotic and difficult to reach locations, requiring excessive expenses for rooms, travel, two weeks off from work, etc.

Competition is fun. Whether it is a WCCC event, or an online event.
Well, I had a great time back in the 1990's attending the WMCCC in Paderborn (1995), Jakarta (1996), Paris (1997) and London (2000).

It was a great opportunity to meet people, and the games themselves - played on proper chess boards - were great fun. I liked the travel, too, and immersing myself in the culture of different countries.

Back then, most attending the events were programmers, and there were some good nights out where beer was drunk, ideas were exchanged, and plans to enhance programs made..

There was always a controversy or two, to spice things up (thinking about CSTal losing because of an underpromotion bug in Paris, and the hoo-ha around a Crafy clone - Gunard-1 or something - participating in jakarta).

All in all, great fun, and I hope it continues.

Family and work commitments mean I can't do this kind of thing any more. Plus the fact my program is no longer competitive, though it did cause some upsets at the WCCC in 1999 :)

Go for it, Josh, good luck to you and your program!