Glaurung 2.0 one possible idea for the crashes.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Suji

Glaurung 2.0 one possible idea for the crashes.

Post by Suji »

Tord mentioned that a user keeps experiencing crashes in this thread http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35293.

I have tried out the settings and I might have discovered a pattern for the crashes. I also tried with the strength increased to 1600, and the same problem occurs.

The pattern that I've noticed is that Glaurung 2.0 crashes when it's inevitable that the program is going to be mated. I found that it crashes without making it's move when it's going to be checkmated on the very next move. Maybe a stack problem?

I've had no other problems with Glaurung 2.0 so far. It's an absolutely wonderful program.

I do have to say that Glaurung 2.0 may not actually have bugs in it, but that they are undocumented features. :wink: :wink:

Hope this helps in tracking down the rogue bugs.

Also, thanks to Tord, Joona, and Marco for everything that they do for computer chess.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Glaurung 2.0 one possible idea for the crashes.

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Suji wrote: The pattern that I've noticed is that Glaurung 2.0 crashes when it's inevitable that the program is going to be mated. I found that it crashes without making it's move when it's going to be checkmated on the very next move. Maybe a stack problem?

Tord obviously programmed it to be a bad loser ;-)
bob

Post by bob »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Suji wrote: The pattern that I've noticed is that Glaurung 2.0 crashes when it's inevitable that the program is going to be mated. I found that it crashes without making it's move when it's going to be checkmated on the very next move. Maybe a stack problem?

There was a time (I think Kasparov vs Karpov but am not sure) where (I think) Karpov had some sort of "psychic" (or psycho) on his team, and the guy would stare at Kasparov for the entire game. (This might have been Fischer as well, I don't remember). In any case, it caused quite a stir because of the protests and such. That same year, at the ACM event, many programs,as they were searching along (at the very slow speeds of the middle 70's) would print out messages complaining about spectators misbehaving, chewing gum, talking, and such. And one would resign quite ungracefully by displaying a blank board, followed by a seemingly limitless core dump. :)

those were the days..
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

There was a time (I think Kasparov vs Karpov but am not sure) where (I think) Karpov had some sort of "psychic" (or psycho) on his team, and the guy would stare at Kasparov for the entire game. (This might have been Fischer as well, I don't remember). In any case, it caused quite a stir because of the protests and such. That same year, at the ACM event, many programs,as they were searching along (at the very slow speeds of the middle 70's) would print out messages complaining about spectators misbehaving, chewing gum, talking, and such. And one would resign quite ungracefully by displaying a blank board, followed by a seemingly limitless core dump. :)

those were the days..
Yes i remember that
it was Karpov v Korchnoi at Baguio City
to deflect the stares of the Psychic Korchnoi wore sunglasses

Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

those were the days..
Here is a Chess Robot getting emotional http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOsdvr7GTQ
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

those were the days..
yes,i remember it was one of the karpov-korchnoj matches.
those were the best :D
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

those were the days..
Yes i remember that

Regards
Steve
sunglasses,Boris used them versus Korchnoi too 8-)
8-)
bob

Post by bob »

It is always interesting when there is more "action" off the board than on the board. :)
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

F. Bluemers wrote:
Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

those were the days..
Yes i remember that

Regards
Steve
sunglasses,Boris used them versus Korchnoi too 8-)
8-)
Those were goggles! 8 -|

Miguel
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Suji wrote:The pattern that I've noticed is that Glaurung 2.0 crashes when it's inevitable that the program is going to be mated. I found that it crashes without making it's move when it's going to be checkmated on the very next move.
Thanks for the suggestion, but this can't possibly be the whole problem. I've played lots of games at lower strength settings and kept playing until mate, without any crashes.
Maybe a stack problem?
That would have been nice, because I fixed a stack size problem a few days ago (as discussed in one of the other threads), but unfortunately it's unlikely for crashes that occur in positions with a short forced mate. Positions with a short forced mate are actually far easier on the stack than more average positions, because there are no deep lines in the search tree.
I've had no other problems with Glaurung 2.0 so far. It's an absolutely wonderful program.
Thanks!