fail soft vs fail hard

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: fail soft vs fail hard

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:Although this might be true, it seems to me that this kind of simplification would be infinitesimal on the scale of any program that is significantly larger than micro-Max. Which, btw, uses fail soft...

The gains in terms of simplicity that you would reap by not using PVS, but simple alpha-beta, is far larger.
yes, but PVS is a significant win, compared to fail-soft, which is essentially no change once you use PVS.
bob

Post by bob »

Pablo Vazquez wrote:But if you do fail hard in qsearch(), you are going to return a score in the range of [alpha, beta]. And then, doing fail soft in search() would be the same as fail hard, or am i missing something?
If you don't do it everywhere, you don't do it anywhere. The only real exception is in egtb scores and draws by repetition/50-move/etc... There, even in search, if you fail-soft you have a score outside A-B window to return. But for normal positions, you are correct that fail-soft and fail-hard are the same if you do fail-hard in the q-search as there is no way to get a score outside A-B.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Pablo Vazquez wrote:But if you do fail hard in qsearch(), you are going to return a score in the range of [alpha, beta]. And then, doing fail soft in search() would be the same as fail hard, or am i missing something?
I was doing fail soft everywhere, but I changed it in qsearch(), which is the place that gave me trouble (at least in a set of positions). I did not change it in the regular search because of laziness ;-), not because of some rational explanation (and maybe is not a problem for me in the regular search). I need to test the whole thing, though. What you say is true, I think, if the search went in qsearch(). There are many situations where you return a score in the tree that did not touch qsearch(). For instance, checkmates, draw by repetitions, hashtable hits, egtb hits etc.

Miguel
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

bob wrote:yes, but PVS is a significant win, compared to fail-soft, which is essentially no change once you use PVS.
Well, PVS only starts to become a win when your move ordering is good enough (but not too good). For micro-Max it was a loss.
Pablo Vazquez

Post by Pablo Vazquez »

I see, thx for the explanation.
jwes

Post by jwes »

bob wrote:
hgm wrote:I think failing soft is always superior from a performance point of view. (If you use the scores in the hash table for cutoffs, that is. Otherwise it is strictly equivalent.)

The only advantage I see is that with fail hard you will catch any bugs in your alpha-beta implementation immediately, as any cutoff will only be marginal: you will never have scores above beta, the cutoffs all occur by a score equal to beta. This can be important in implementations where setting the search window is not trivial. Such as what I do when using a delayed-loss bonus.
I would add that it probably depends on your basic search approach. If you use PVS, so that almost 100% of the searches are with a null-window, fail-soft offers nothing over fail-hard. The only case I have found where fail-soft is important is in mtd(f) where fail-soft gives you a decent "hint" about how far off the root null-window actually is, so that you can converge faster.

I have tried both in Crafty and found no difference that could be measured... But then I have been using PVS since around 1980 or so...
Could you put fail soft in Crafty as a compiler option so we could play with it ?
cyberfish

Post by cyberfish »

Ah I see. Thanks.

I just tried it with my engine, and noticed no difference, too.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

bob wrote:I would add that it probably depends on your basic search approach.
That is also my opinion. I see the following different approaches of doing the search, where "plain alpha-beta" is meant as either fail-hard or fail-soft:

1. plain alpha-beta without aspiration window
=> without TT hash, fail-soft and fail-hard are equivalent, the additional local variable does not affect performance noticeably
=> with TT hash, there may be a small advantage for fail-soft since storing slightly better bounds may cause slightly more hash hits (I remember having read something about 7% but I can't find the source for it anymore, are there any measurements?)

2. plain alpha-beta with aspiration window
=> same difference as 1. regarding hash hits
=> additionally, each time when a search fails low or high *at search root* the re-search will often require less nodes with fail-soft than with fail-hard since the window for re-search is smaller than with fail-hard and produces slightly more cutoffs

3. PVS without aspiration window
=> should be the same as 1., so "only" probably more hash hits
=> documents describing PVS algorithm nearly always use fail-soft instead of fail-hard; that does not mean that fail-soft is really any better in a PVS framework than fail-hard, it could also mean that both are equivalent here

4. PVS with aspiration window (I don't know whether many engines are using this approach)
=> should be the same as 2., so probably more hash hits and slightly faster re-search at root in case of failing low or high

5. MTD(f)
=> as far as I read fail-soft is significantly better here than fail-hard

The remaining question for me is: what is the gain of fail-soft over fail-hard regarding number of hash hits, as mentioned in 1. above? A plain alpha-beta search *without* aspiration window might be used to compare both variants, preferably over many games, and watching out for both hash hit statistics and playing strength. If there is a gain, it should also exist when using an aspiration window and/or PVS. Has anybody done such a test already and could post results?

Sven
AndrewShort

Post by AndrewShort »

Sven Schüle wrote:
That is also my opinion.
4. PVS with aspiration window (I don't know whether many engines are using this approach)

Sven
I use fail hard,pvs,and aspiration windows. Is there something inherently unsound in using pvs and aspiration windows?
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

AndrewShort wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:
That is also my opinion.

Sven
I use fail hard,pvs,and aspiration windows. Is there something inherently unsound in using pvs and aspiration windows?
At least in this thread: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197564 there were some pros and cons.

Sven