To Thinker 5.3B Inert testers !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

To Thinker 5.3B Inert testers !

Post by Sylwy »

Hi !

The ChessBase adapter deletes hash after each move.Please don't use it in CEGT and CCRL !

Regards,
Silvian
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: To Thinker 5.3B Inert testers !

Post by Werner »

Hi Ruxy,
I know that because I sent a logfile to Lance and Kerwin :)
I too sent him a log using wb2uci adapter and he too told me the same :shock:
(which I do not understand).

So I play under Arena and we play eng-eng matches with ponder off.
And with ponder off I think there is now danger using one of these adapters if testing aginst Fritz 11. Or do you know another solution in that case?

Best
Werner, CEGT team
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

Werner wrote:
I sent him a log using wb2uci adapter and he too told me the same :shock:
(which I do not understand).
Me too ! :shock:
I used Wb2Uci adapter without any problem and with sensational results !

Regards,
Silvian
geots

Post by geots »

Sylwy wrote:Hi !

The ChessBase adapter deletes hash after each move.Please don't use it in CEGT and CCRL !

Regards,
Silvian

You say the Chessbase adapter doesnt work right- then you say you have no problems with the wb2uci adapters. At the risk of sounding stupid, you have lost me here. I did not know there was a chessbase adpater that you could use instead of the wb2uci adpaters. I always use the wb2uci adapters to convert it to uci and use in chessbase. Exactly what are you saying- its a bit fuzzy to me.

Best,
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

There's an older Chessbase adapter that turns your engine into ENG and allows you to see how Thinker scores the position after moving with ponder off.

You can get it here:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... l?tid=6272
geots

Post by geots »

Ovyron wrote:There's an older Chessbase adapter that turns your engine into ENG and allows you to see how Thinker scores the position after moving with ponder off.

You can get it here:

Thanks Ulysses. Obviously i dont really wont it. I just never heard of it, and you straightened out the confusion with it and the wb2uci adapters, which i use and trust. Thanks again, Friend.

Best,
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

geots wrote:
Ovyron wrote:There's an older Chessbase adapter that turns your engine into ENG and allows you to see how Thinker scores the position after moving with ponder off.

You can get it here:

Thanks Ulysses. Obviously i dont really wont it. I just never heard of it, and you straightened out the confusion with it and the wb2uci adapters, which i use and trust. Thanks again, Friend.

Best,
I kept telling you guys that it affects the strength of the engine..but my outcry seem to have fallen in to def ears.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Tony Thomas wrote:I kept telling you guys that it affects the strength of the engine..but my outcry seem to have fallen in to def ears.
It's not meant to be used for games.
Sylwy

Re: Some comments of Ulrich Turke about WB-CB adapter

Post by Sylwy »

geots wrote:
Sylwy wrote:Hi !

Regards,
Silvian

You say the Chessbase adapter doesnt work right- then you say you have no problems with the wb2uci adapters. At the risk of sounding stupid, you have lost me here. I did not know there was a chessbase adpater that you could use instead of the wb2uci adpaters. I always use the wb2uci adapters to convert it to uci and use in chessbase. Exactly what are you saying- its a bit fuzzy to me.

Best,
Worse, unless the author of the engine has made specific adjustments, Winboard engines will play much weaker in Chessbase GUI against other native engines than in Winboard . Ulrich Türke ,author of the Winboard engine Comet explains why.

"The ChessBase Interface for wb-engines (as well as the Shredder-5 one) exhibits a very serious violation of the standard winboard protocol. Instead of sending the opponent's move, these GUIs send the winboard "new" command (normally used by winboard to indicate that a new game has started) and subsequently the whole list of moves again until the current board position is reached.
Consequently, a winboard engine will after each opponent's move perform all its kind of initialization actions for a new game. These are things like clearing the hash table, deleting killer moves, ... . These actions have the effect of 1. consuming some time, and 2. loosing valuable informations. "

As such, unless you use Winboard engines merely to analyse positions, they will be at a big disadvanatage when playing a full game.

Ulrich Türke continues,

"However, some winboard engine programmers have been so smart enough to adapt their engines to these modified protocols too. You can for instance implement some simple logic: ignore the "New Game" command generally and try to find out yourself when a new game has started (compare move history, ...). The other engines however loose some performance under these GUIs."
It's difficult to estimate the loss in strength, but probably Winboard engines that do not ponder and/or do not use hashtables are less affected.For a more technical explaination of this and other flaws of the Winboard to Chessbase adaptor, see Thomas Mayer's compatability review.

The link:
http://www.horizonchess.com/FAQ/Winboard/gui.html

ALSO THE wb2uci ISN'T A PERFECT ONE ! THE LOSS IN STRENGTH FOR A wb ENGINE PLAYING LIKE uci IS AROUND 1% (20-30 ELO POINTS ) ! BEST FOR US TO BE USED A SINGLE PROTOCOL engine/gui !

Regards,
Silvian
Ovyron

Re: Some comments of Ulrich Turke about WB-CB adapter

Post by Ovyron »

Ok, can someone explain Silvian why 1% loss of speed isn't a loss of 20-30 ELO? I tried at Rybka forum and failed....