OliThink 5.1.6 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

OliverBr
Full name: Dr. Oliver Brausch

OliThink 5.1.6 released

Post by OliverBr »

For those who are interested, it can be downloaded here:

http://home.arcor.de/dreamlike/chess/index.html

I skipped the release from 5.1.5. because this was not stronger than 5.1.4 but this one (5.1.6) is notably stronger. Have look here:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... s&p=226444
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: OliThink 5.1.6 released

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Oliver,keep up the good work....
BTW,is there any future plans for making OliThink a MP engine :!: :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
OliverBr

Post by OliverBr »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks Oliver,keep up the good work....
Actually, no. It would be very interesting, but the concept of OliThink was always to keep it most simple, most neat, most tiny, etc.

For it's size it's really amazing that it is almost as strong as Crafty now.

Crafty was always like a unreachable idol and challenge for me and I am approaching it with a programm that is perhaps only a tenth part in size.
Will Singleton

Post by Will Singleton »

OliverBr wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks Oliver,keep up the good work....
Actually, no. It would be very interesting, but the concept of OliThink was always to keep it most simple, most neat, most tiny, etc.

For it's size it's really amazing that it is almost as strong as Crafty now.

Crafty was always like a unreachable idol and challenge for me and I am approaching it with a programm that is perhaps only a tenth part in size.
Looks like it plays a reasonable game, which is impressive for it's small size. Based on my quick look, it's not quite to Amateur's level, let alone Crafty. It doesn't search very deep, I notice. Have you done much with move-ordering or other search techniques? No king-safety yet?

Will
OliverBr

Post by OliverBr »

Will Singleton wrote:

Looks like it plays a reasonable game, which is impressive for it's small size. Based on my quick look, it's not quite to Amateur's level, let alone Crafty. It doesn't search very deep, I notice. Have you done much with move-ordering or other search techniques? No king-safety yet?

Will
It's not on Crafty's level yet, but it beats crafty regularly on any time control. In the testing tournament it got 10/20 points against Crafty.

I experimented a lot with move ordering (this is most important thing in alpha-beta seaching).
The search deep is not so big, because it does not any razoring or aggressive tree pruning (yet?).

There is a "implicite" king safety based on the mobility eval. When squares next to the kind are attacked it's mobility is restricticted and this yields to an enourmous substraction of evaluation, because the king th quite an important piece ;)

But this is all about king safety, there is nothing "artificial" like a pawn shelter or other non-generic stuff, I never liked.
brianr

Post by brianr »

It has been some time since I recall Tinker playing OliThink, but the new version does quite well. Oliver, keep up the good work.

20 Nunn II and 30 Noomen positions (100 games with both black and white) at 1 min plus 2 seconds per move, no pondering, no books or EGTBs.

Code: Select all

Program                          Elo    +   -   Games   Score   Av.Op.  Draws

1 OliThink 516 x64               : 2410   61  61   100    53.0 %   2390   22.0 %
  2 Tinker 714 x64                 : 2390   61  61   100    47.0 %   2410   22.0 %
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Olithink is a wonder of the world.

Tiny, yet powerful.

Maybe not on "Thinker's" level, but for an open source program I suspect that Elo per byte is as high or higher than any open source program.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Dann Corbit wrote:Olithink is a wonder of the world.

Tiny, yet powerful.

Maybe not on "Thinker's" level, but for an open source program I suspect that Elo per byte is as high or higher than any open source program.
You really want to have that argument with H.G. again don't you?

:lol:
swami

Post by swami »

Tiny, yet powerful.

Result was not its match against Thinker, but "Tinker". Scroll above and see the results table. :wink:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

swami wrote:

Tiny, yet powerful.

Result was not its match against Thinker, but "Tinker". Scroll above and see the results table. :wink:
Yes, he defeated Tinker, but I guess that Thinker would take him out behind the woodshed and give him an old-fashioned beat-down.

Of course, Thinker would give the same beat-down to just about any other kid on the block. For sure, any of those that are near his size.