Glaurung needs some testers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Re: Glaurung needs some testers

Post by Tord Romstad »

jdart wrote:It is true you can't compile at runtime but you can always do:

if (option1) {
king safety code variant 1
}
else {
king safety code variant 2
}
Yes, for just testing a finite number of formulas, this would be good enough (except that it might slow down the engine a bit if I had lots of such code). But it wouldn't enable users to construct their own formulas.

Tord
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Mark wrote:Shoot. From the thread topic I was hoping you needed testers for the iPhone version!
That wouldn't even be technically possible yet, because it still isn't possible to transfer applications made with Apple's iPhone SDK to an actual iPhone. The earliest possible date would be in the end of June (assuming that I have a complete and working program by then, which is far from sure), and at the moment it is not clear whether Apple will accept non-US based developers from the beginning.

At any rate, the iPhone version of Glaurung is still very much part of my plans, and I hope to have the first version ready well before the end of the year.

Tord
Thanks Tord. Glad to hear it's still in your plans!
seemychess

Post by seemychess »

i would be happy to be a tester. my email is snmkissimmee@yahoo.com
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Tord Romstad wrote:Hi all,

I have a new development version of Glaurung which I would like to see tested. Is there anyone who is willing to help?

I would be particularly interested in finding someone who also has some basic programming knowledge. The main addition compared to Glaurung 2.0.1 is king safety evaluation. The king safety evaluation is quite complex, and there's an awful lot of parameters to tune, far too many to make them all available as UCI parameters. It would therefore be nice to find someone who can modify the source code (I'll give advice about what to change, of course), compile, and run tests and experiments.

Of course, non-programmer testers would also be very welcome. Just knowing whether this version is stronger than 2.0.1 would be very interesting.

At the moment, I only have binaries for Linux and Mac OS X, but I expect to have 32-bit and 64-bit Windows binaries some time soon.

If anyone is interested, please drop me an e-mail, or send me a personal message on this board.

Tord
Tord,

Looking good (very good) at blitz.

Code: Select all

# Computed on 2008-04-26
# Based on "CCRL-404.[275470].pgn"

# Name                                     =>   ELO (  +    - )  Score   AvOp ( AvDf)  Draws Games (+W-L=D)

Glaurung 080420 64-bit                   =>  2881 ( +27  -27)  42.0%  +52.5 ( 70.2)  36.0%   450 (+108-180=162)
  Glaurung 2.0.1 64-bit                    =>  2835 ( +10  -10)  50.1%   -1.0 ( 80.7)  32.9%  3539 (+1189-1185=1165)
  Glaurung 1.2.1 64-bit                    =>  2748 ( +13  -13)  39.8%  +79.8 (121.3)  27.8%  2412 (+625-1117=670)
This is from The CCRL 40/4 update which should be online tomorrow

Shaun
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

CCRL 40/4 update is now available.

The latest Glaurung has done very, well taking the 9th slot in the single CPU list... ahead of Bright 03b

Link

Great job Tord!!!

Shaun
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Tord Romstad wrote:Hi all,
I have a new development version of Glaurung which I would like to see tested. Is there anyone who is willing to help?
Tord
Perhaps some type of testing framework could be set up so that volunteers could contribute their computer time to testing your engine. Hey! Maybe you could get people to contribute ideas for improving your engine also!