Anatoli is released....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Martin

Re: Anatoli is released....

Post by Martin »

Graham Banks wrote:I wonder if it's stronger than the author's older engine SpiderChess?

I don't know how strong Anatoli is now. It changes fast and the latest versions didn't play many games yet.
I think it's stronger at longer timecontrols than at blitz. And it needs a better book than the tiny one that I released, of course. 8-)

But anyway, it is still a young and rather primitive engine, so don't expect too much! :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

The engine was indeed named after Anatoli Karpov, so it's great to have a logo with his picture in it! :D

Thank you both, Martin T. and Swami! :)
swami

Post by swami »

Martin wrote:The engine was indeed named after Anatoli Karpov, so it's great to have a logo with his picture in it! :D

Thank you both, Martin T. and Swami! :)
Well, his name is Anatoly Karpov, not Anatoli Karpov. :-)

Regards.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I wasn't sure, I Googled and found that both 'Anatoli' and 'Anatoly' are widely used. And for some irrational reason that I don't remember I decided for 'Anatoli'.
Maybe I can call him Anatoly when he is a bit more mature. :D
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Swami,

Then his name is also Анатолий. ;)

I guess it depends where in the world you live...
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Martin T wrote:Swami,

Then his name is also Анатолий. ;)

I guess it depends where in the world you live...
Yes. Unlike some other languages, there is no internationally standardized way to transcribe Russian names. All countries use their own system. I think "Anatoli" is probably the most common way to transcribe this name, ("Anatolij", which we use in Scandinavia, is also quite common), so there is nothing wrong or unusual about the engine name.

Actually, I don't know any other language than English where it would be spelt "Anatoly". I'm sure there are some, though.

Tord
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

geots wrote: Now- Ulysses, Graham, Dave- if i just had a logo for Anatoli........... hint, hint, hint 8-)

PS - I like Swami's one. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
geots

Post by geots »

Graham Banks wrote:
geots wrote: Now- Ulysses, Graham, Dave- if i just had a logo for Anatoli........... hint, hint, hint 8-)

Thanks to all of you who supplied logos for Anatoli. They are all very good!!! :D :D
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:

Thanks Graaham :wink:

Yours is also clean and more of a logo-like appearance. :)
ml

Post by ml »

Martin wrote:The engine was indeed named after Anatoli Karpov, so it's great to have a logo with his picture in it! :D
Why is it named Anatoli; does it have anything in common with the great world champion or his playing style?