Finally ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Finally ?

Post by Sylwy »

Finally which Toga II is the best ?????????????? :shock:
Seems everybody has his own exceptional setting here ! :shock: :shock:

Thank you a lot !
Sylwy
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Tony Thomas

Re: Finally ?

Post by Tony Thomas »

I will just stick with the original, the strength gains from settings in real games are minimal, and they are mainly geared towards analysis.
Edward German

Re: Finally !

Post by Edward German »

Sylwy wrote:Finally which Toga II is the best ?????????????? :shock:

Thank you a lot !
Sylwy
My Favorite Toga is real Toga 1.4.1SE, but not default.

My *.uci (Folder ChessBase\Engines\) has this Settings (I have only an Core 2 Duo 2.66):

[ENGINE]
Name=Toga II 1.4.1SE T2e2
Author=Thomas Gaksch and Fabien Letouzey
Filename=C:\Programme\ChessBase\Engines\TogaIIv1.4.1SE\toga141se-2cpu.exe
[OPTIONS]
Verification Reduction=4
Toga Lazy Eval Margin=225
Toga King Safety Margin=1300

With this Settings I use Toga more and more for my analyses :idea: , but Toga 1.4.1SE playing with this Setting stronger than default. :!:

My Best!
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I guess you only have two active setting changes as the King Safety option is no longer functional. Do you at least have about 100 games to prove that it is stronger than the default?
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Finally ?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Sylwy wrote:Finally which Toga II is the best ?????????????? :shock:

Thank you a lot !
Sylwy

We will only know having taken the time to do some testing. And if you want exact eloratings Ruxy, you will just have to wait if the CCRL and CEGT want to test a new version. Until further notice: I think that the beta5c from Thomas is possibly still a little bit better at longer timecontrols than any other versions I know of but that is just my personal crystal ball guess. And I can't really say anything about Toga 1.4.1SE because I have not tested that, so I also don't know if Eduard Nemeth's settings are really better.

Regarding Toga 1.4 Checkov Beta 2 : I just made a version that beat Shredder 11 at Tony's superfast time control of 1 minute + 1 second Fischer bonus with 6-4. But what does that mean, apart from all the statistical fluctuations in ten games? And it is the first time I tested anything at this timecontrol so the result says absolutely nothing without any comparison material. I have no idea what these short timecontrols really say, I prefer longer testing before I can say anything specific. At longer timecontrols all versions seemed to do worse so far against Shredder 11, which is of course a strong program. This latest version of Beta 2 is not even tested yet in one game at the 12 minutes + 6 seconds control which is the timecontrol I think can tell me something more. And I just made the first build of Toga 1.4 Checkov Beta 3 so that needs testing as well. :P In other words we are leaving you in suspense Ruxy 8-)

Eelco
Edward German

Post by Edward German »

Tony Thomas wrote:I guess you only have two active setting changes as the King Safety option is no longer functional. Do you at least have about 100 games to prove that it is stronger than the default?
No, I played not 100 games, sorry.

But I play ever with Permanent Brain and "LIVE" on Playchess.

First I played about 10 games with default, my Nick was "Solist" but I loses 90%!

Then I have used this Setting, and in serie I won 1x against Rybka MP, then I hold 2 draws against Rybka MP, then I loses 1x against Naum 3, and finally I won 1x against Fritz 11.

I my opinion this two extreme results are enough for me, to see which setting is better.

Best!
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Edward, it is possible that your setting is indeed better. However, it has no bearing what so ever on the king safety margin, because it isnt functional. Basically All I am saying is that you will have the same results weather or not the king safety margin setting is checked or unchecked.
Edward German

Post by Edward German »

Tony Thomas wrote:Edward, it is possible that your setting is indeed better. However, it has no bearing what so ever on the king safety margin, because it isnt functional. Basically All I am saying is that you will have the same results weather or not the king safety margin setting is checked or unchecked.
OK Tony, if You not belive me, I have no problem here. You can let "King Safety Margin" on 1700 (Default), then the another two parameters are much :!: importanter for my Toga II 1.4.1SE-style!

BTW: I am testing Toga many Years ago now.

Best wishes!
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I have been testing Toga for many years as well. As many people have pointed out, the last few version still got King Safety Margin as an option, but it does not do anything. I guess some people are so opinionated, and this will be my last post on that subject. Can someone please translate what I am saying to Edward?

Peace out
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

If the Toga king safety option is not checked (not activated), and even more if there is no Toga king safety code anymore at all as a poster here mentioned (if I get him correctly), then the Toga king safety margin has of course no effect. Anything else is pure phantasy. It is not rational.

It makes no sense to try alternative settings, as long as we do not have a reliable rating for the default settings! With what do you compare if it's better or worse?!
Regards, Mike