Help with romi learn file

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ozziejoe

Help with romi learn file

Post by ozziejoe »

I am testing romi and just want to make sure she is learning. The learn.dat file does seem to get modified everytime a game finishes, but the file size has not got any bigger. I am running romi against about 5 opponents. How much bigger should the file get after , say, 20 games.

best
J
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: Help with romi learn file

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Hi Joseph,

Romi grows the learn file by 10,000 entries at a time. Each time the last block is used up. Twenty games is not enough to grow it.

I look forward to seeing some learning data.

The most impressive test that I ever ran, to test Romi's learning ability was against Glaurung 1.21. In the first of 20 rounds of the Nunn10 positions Romi scored 6%. In the 20th and final round Romi scored 95%! The resulting chart was a linear progression from 6% to 95% with only a few small 'ziggies' in the middle.
Last edited by Michael Sherwin on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

ok, michael, thanks.

Oh, she will grow, don't you worry. She will go from being this thin beauty to bertha the killer whale
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Michael Sherwin wrote:Hi Joseph,

Romi grows the learn file by 10,000 entries at a time. Each time the last block is used up. Twenty games is not enough to grow it.

I look forward to seeing some learning data.

The most impressive test that I ever ran, to test Romi's learning ability was against Glaurung 1.21. In the first of 20 rounds of the Nunn10 positions Romi scored 6%. In the 20th and final round Romi scored 95%! The resulting chart was a linear progression from 6% to 95% with only a few small 'ziggies' in the middle.
small correction:

The Nunn25 positions were used. Fifty games per round.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

I am testing romi in a single position. My plan is to build up a huge learning file, then test her at longer time controls, once with the learning file, and once without. I'ld like to see what kind of difference it makes.

I am finding that you've got to keep an eye on romi and give her new oponents, because she sometimes discovers a line against a particular oponent that always wins and seh plays it relentlessly.

Here are some early results. I already pulled aristarch out of the tourniment, because romi was makign 40 moves without using any time and slaughtering it.

It has started to beat list and sos everytime

1: Romichess 23.0/51 ·········
2: Rybkav2.3.2a.w32 6.5/8 1=1111==
2: Slow 6.5/8 11111===
4: Ruffian_210 5.0/9 11=10=010
5: Yace Paderborn 4.5/9 01011=0==
5: List512 4.5/9 =01111000
7: SOS 5.1 for Arena 1.0/8 ==000000

It looks like SOS is about to break its losing streak. I think what happens is Romi uses line X against sos, but because it loses to other engines, romi stops using the line against sos.