How many "official" Toga projects there is now?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ryan Benitez

Re: How many "official" Toga projects there is now

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Thomas Gaksch wrote:Congratulations Ryan,
this redesign was the right step to be sucessfull for the next years. That was really a lot of work for you. but a great decision to do it.
Now in practise Fruit isn´t anymore Fruit 2.1 and in my opinion Fruit is now your own baby. Why didn´t you rename it?

Thomas
Fabian did the rewrite to bitboard.
In Chess64 Fabien did the bitboards, in Fruit I did the bitboards. They have little in common in they way they are used in the 2 programs.
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Roman Hartmann wrote: And the thing about GPL you better don't bring up anymore as I remember very well that some people had to explain you what GPL actually means.

Roman
To be fair most of the computer chess community does not understand the GPL. It is very saddening to me that something with such great intent can be looked down on as something so bad by so many. I don't know of any other community that frowns on the GPL the way the computer chess community does.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Ryan Benitez wrote:I don't know of any other community that frowns on the GPL the way the computer chess community does.
What do you mean ?
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Guetti wrote:
Thomas Gaksch wrote:Hello Andreas,
as far as i have understood is that chess64 is only developed by Fabien and Fruit only by Ryan anymore. But Ryan knows it best.
Ah, ok. I probably associated Chess64 somehow with 64-bit.

Then:
Chess64 (Fabien) is a rewritten, multithreaded Fruit?
Fruit (Ryan) is a modified Fruit using bitboards and a rewritten eval?
Toga is a modified Fruit with tuned evaluation and SMP?

And the version playing in CCT10 is the version of Ryan? Sorry, I'm a bit lost with all the versions.
Chess64 is a new engine by Fabien. It is not Fruit.
Fruit is now a bitboard engine with smp that has focus in evaluation
Toga I know less about because there are many versions and I don't see what is being done but in the past it has been a well tuned search that Toga has gained from most.
slobo

Post by slobo »

Roman Hartmann wrote:Rolf, I try to make it simple as you're not familiar with the technical aspects of chess programming itself.

I'm planning to participate at the Berlin marathon this year. Unfortunately I don't have much time for training, so I think I will take the metro for the first part and run the last mile only. Running the last mile in a marathon is very hard as you can imagine and that's why I only run that last mile. Did I already mention that this last mile is very hard in a marathon?

I mean, let's face it, it's boring to run 40 Kilometers before you can actually start that last and important part of the race. Everybody can run 40 kilometers, but it's the last mile which actually counts. So running the last mile is actually the key part of it.

Roman
Great!
Last mile runner!
:D :D :D
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
slobo

Post by slobo »

Tony wrote:
Roman Hartmann wrote:Rolf, I try to make it simple as you're not familiar with the technical aspects of chess programming itself.

I'm planning to participate at the Berlin marathon this year. Unfortunately I don't have much time for training, so I think I will take the metro for the first part and run the last mile only. Running the last mile in a marathon is very hard as you can imagine and that's why I only run that last mile. Did I already mention that this last mile is very hard in a marathon?

I mean, let's face it, it's boring to run 40 Kilometers before you can actually start that last and important part of the race. Everybody can run 40 kilometers, but it's the last mile which actually counts. So running the last mile is actually the key part of it.

Roman
:)

You forgot to mention how stupid the other people are for running these first 40 km.

And the others keep complaining. They are just jalous on how fast you run this marathon and they only wished they could run it so good as well.

Tony
No, he did not forget. Simply, there are Full ruuners and Last mile runners. I like both of them. Because the point is Pleasure:

if you like to runn 42 km, you do it,
if you like to runn only one or two final ones, no problem.

It ´s you who choses your own pleasure!
Last edited by slobo on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Vinvin wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:I don't know of any other community that frowns on the GPL the way the computer chess community does.
What do you mean ?
When sloppy came out people freaked out and called it a clone. They clearly did not understand that sloppy was not only using the GPL but was doing what it is supposed to do. Sharing ideas to continue the progress is the idea but we have all gotten do high and mighty that we instead judge people for sharing progress and ideas. The biggest thing keeping Rybka the king of the hill is the mindset of a community that rebels against progress.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Jouni wrote:I find situation really confusing. We need overview of all developments
under way. I remember to read 2007, that Thomas Gaksch is stopped to
work with Toga, but that's was happily preliminary info. But who has written Cluster Toga and 3.1.2 SE? Is Fruit under development also?
Are programmers working in co-operation?
Yes good questions, i'm confused too about all the situation.
Anyone care to show me a link from this Toga Checkov release? I mean an official one, the latest and the strongest. :D

Toga II 1.4 beta5c, is coming!
Fruit 2.3.x is coming!
Rybka 3.0 is coming!
Deep Fritz 11 is coming!
Hiarcs 12 is coming!
Intel Quad QX9770 is coming.

Great Chess days are coming.... :D

I hope Junior, Chess Tiger, Shredder,Glaurung,Crafty, etc too will arise....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
ArmoredGuns

Post by ArmoredGuns »

About Toga Chekov, I hope that Elco makes a release for the 3.12SE MP version 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

George Tsavdaris wrote:Anyone care to show me a link from this Toga Checkov release? I mean an official one, the latest and the strongest. :D
Perhaps not the latest or the strongest, but I just applied these settings (The Chekov settings) to Toga II 3.1.2SE and it's the Toga I've been talking about:

Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.